Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Strange Policies.....

neurotic Iraqi wife

September 30, 2004

Strange Policies.....

I have been getting quite a few emails asking me about how my HUBBY regards the current situation in Iraq. Although I cant really talk on his behalf, I will just pinpoint a couple of things he has told me, and the changes that he has gone through since the first time he went to Iraq until this day...

Before going into the details I just wanna write a few sentences describing HUBBY. When I first met HUBBY,I used to talk to him about how I really wanted to help the people of Iraq and that I dont really fear for my life, he thought I was crazy(poor guy didnt know what he was getting himself into by marrying me). I have mentioned in a previous post how he would tell me that Iraq is just a piece of land and that all we got from it was pain. That was HUBBY talking 18 months ago....

The HUBBY today is someone completely different. The minute he stepped on Iraqi soil, the passion just flared for his country and he was adamant to find a job that will be of great use to the Iraqis. He succeeded and joined one of the companies...At first he was excited, he couldnt believe that after 25 years of being away from his country he was actually there in person. He loved it, loved the people, loved the place. He would tell me that what we see in the news and the media is an exxageration, that it isnt really that bad.

He became immune to the mortar attacks, and that by itself is an achievement cuz HUBBY was the type that would jump if a door got slightly slammed(aaaaah,poor baby,hehe). Till now when I complain to him and tell him what has the world come to, why all the killings and kidnappings are taking place??He would keep insisting that the majority of Iraqis are peace loving people and just wanna survive and look after their families.

The problem is the company he is at. Things were going smoothly the first few weeks but then him and other Iraqi expats realised that they were being sidelined with a capital S. One of the BIG GUYS, kept HUBBY and his fellow colleagues from interacting with the local Iraqis, and told them that its non of their business. HUBBY became furious, how is it non of their business???Its his country his people after all, and he is there to help with the rebuilding. But the BIG BOSS, became unbearable and started giving the Iraqi expats a real hard time by lowering their positions in the company and giving them silly paper work to work on instead of the real thing. They even began to remove Iraqi locals from their positions...WHY???

At one point the BIG BOSS even threatened HUBBY that if he doesnt listen to orders then he will be transferred to another department. I know how HUBBY is, he will never ever be rude or disrespect anyone, he is an easy going guy and very amicable. So I am sure that he hasnt done anything to provoke the BIG BOSS. I have also been told similar stories by other guys who I know that are working in Iraq, and they too are complaining that to them this is just a scam. That they are being employed just to show the world look we have employed Iraqis to do the job.

HUBBY says who better to understand Iraqis than Iraqis themselves???So the big question here why are the companies doing this???and what is their motive by employing Iraqis then sidelining them???

Although I cant wait to have HUBBY back with me, such stories just furiate me. When I ask HUBBY" so why are you staying if you are being treated so badly, when you can have a loving angelic(NOT) WIFE by your side who would look after you and be at your beck and call??" He simply laughs and says that he is hopeful that things will change and that the BIG BOSS, will at the end realise that what he is doing is wrong. Hmmm, fat chance HUBBY. Darn maybe I should go for the Strawberry Red after all.

Then he talks about how guilty he feels if he does leave. He keeps reiterating the point "If I leave and others like me leave, who is left to rebuild Iraq???" He says now is the time that people need us, now is the time that we can really do something that will allow Iraqis to live better lives than they are used to. He says "you wont be telling me to come back if you see the faces of these people and how much they need us to help them".

I have heard similar stories on another blog written by an American expat in Iraq, I aint gonna mention his name, but he too was complaining about his company and how Iraqis are not getting a fair share of the work. And he is an American mind you...

Dont get me wrong, Im not crtisizing the American people, but I am critisizing the policies of these companies. On what bases do they treat the Iraqis in this manner and why??? Who makes these strange policies???

posted by neurotic_wife at 6:40 PM

7 Comments:

That's what you get when the VP and his personal friends are running the show. From what I've read its a total disgrace what the stupid "companies" are doing over there, making their friends richer than they already are.


Madtom

September 30, 2004 at 10:08 PM  

Its not just the "VEEP" and his friends.. its them and their neighbors and blind old uncle bob and his 3-legged dog that're getting the CA$H!!
I won't even start nagging about how iraqi officials now are ON THE TAKE, and you can do ANYTHING if you had the right amount of money..
Democracy and Justice?
MY A$$!

October 1, 2004 at 1:50 AM  

Neur. Wife:
Pretty upsetting news indeed! I also was pondering this, unemployment is so high for Iraqis while thousands of non-Iraqis are going in to work.

Maybe this needs to be mandated. Certainly I am simplifying, but if the outside companies had to hire as many Iraqis as possible, better train Iraqis, provide higher security, liason with locals, or do a lot more background checking, then so be it! This only reduces the profit margin.

They've got to be making a HUGE profit, and it should be least the Iraqis who profit now with the companies who do go in! Instead of "big gains" in a short time for the non Iraq companies and a select few, a longer time frame would be most beneficial for Iraqis, who by being residents would have a vested interest of successfully re-building their own economic growth.

My condolences to the family and loved one of all the people in Iraq, who were killed today-except any terrorists/murderers! This is an incredible inhuman act of violence! So many times lately, the children have paid the highest price! These innocents lives are no more than a 'sneer' on the terrorists 'masked' face!

So sorry I can offer you no solutions to this situation, sounds like you're making the best of it. I hope you two can be together soon. I DO know how tough it is to have your hubby away for an extended period time. It sucks!
But the reunion is so sweet!

October 1, 2004 at 6:39 AM  

So whats the solution???How can the Iraqis benefit??? Actually the question is, when will the Iraqis benefit??

October 1, 2004 at 9:30 PM  

Neurotic Wife - I too am sick over the killing of all of the innocents. Those babies and children dying breaks my heart.

Reading about the situation that your husband is facing it made me think back to some of the jobs I have worked in my day. There have been times when management policies have made me do a double or even triple take. I've had to ask my co-workers, 'Didn't that sonofabitch go to Wharton business school?! What the hell are they teaching them there?' My husband's job is another example and I've often wondered how does a company remain profitable running a business in such a stupid manner? I'm not up to snuff about the particulars of your husband's job and situation - but what he is experiencing is definitely wrong and we all know that. There comes a point when a decision has to be made - is it worth it to make noise and take down as many people as you can on the way out the door - is it worth the fight? Or is it better to get the resume together and go a-searching? Or will the benefit be greater by keeping your nose to the grindstone and have the ability to make that small difference? Most of us have to face these decisions in our work lives no matter whether we are Iraqi or American. I have opted for all three decisions in the past depending on the circumstances. I have to tell you that when the situation got bad enough at one job - it was an incredibly freeing experience to drive the stake into as many people's hearts (figuratively speaking) that deserved it as I prepared my resignation letter. That was only ONE time in my life that I felt the need to exercise that option, though. What you and he do depends on what his situation turns into in the long run. Keep your options open!! Think Media/press if it gets any worse!!!

October 2, 2004 at 8:25 AM  

Monica

I have tried so many times to convince my husband to leave. He is over qualified for what he is doing in Iraq, especially now that his boss is giving him and others a hard time. With his experience and qualifications he could get the best jobs. But he is adamant to stay and help the Iraqis as much as he can. As you mentioned, its better to help one person than not helping at all... Thats what he keeps telling me.

October 2, 2004 at 12:46 PM  

I agree that it is better to help one person - to a certain extent. It may be that fighting back helps more people in the long run. The situation may not be ripe for that in your husband's eyes. It is also not only frightening but exhausting to fight back and a person has to be ready to do that and carry it through to the end. If one is not ready to do that - then the other options come into play. There have been times in the past for me that the decision to go elsewhere to find another job IS the only option that I am capable of at the time. It is a tough situation to be in for you and for him. You have to stand by helplessly and watch and try to support his decisions - he is in the thick of it trying to sort it out. Good luck and just keep reminding him that he does have options - try to keep yourself sane - and hopefully your hair will be okay in the end. :-)

October 2, 2004 at 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home