Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Platinum Blonde or Strawberry Red???

neurotic Iraqi wife

September 29, 2004

Platinum Blonde or Strawberry Red???

Two things I warned HUBBY about before getting married, one is my addiction with my hair, and the other my addiction to shoes. I have been through crazy phases during my life, especially when I left to study abroad far away from the complications of the Iraqi society and their stinging tongues....

I found myself free, independent, something I have always dreamed to be. My dad wasnt keen to sending me away to study, he wanted me to enroll in the universities that were close to them, but I filled all the applications behind his back and sent all the enrollment fees. Knowing that when push comes to shove he will succumb to it. The day I got my acceptance was a great day. And dad could not stop me....

The first year was great, and an eye opener to many things. One thing I discovered was something called "SUN IN". A hair spray that claims to "naturally" transform your hair from being dark to a lighter colour by spraying it on, and either going out in the sun or blow drying the hair. Since the UK is known for its horrible weather and the rare sight of the sun, I opted for the latter. And off I went to start my mission, spraying, blow drying, spraying, blow drying, spraying and blow drying, until one day, my hair turned blondish orange,yaaaaaaaaay, I have become a blonde!!!LOL. The problem was that end of term was near and I was due to visit my family for the christmas holidays. So I called up my mom and tried to warn her about the status of my hair subtley:

ME:Hi mom, how are things?
MOTHER: Hi, how are you, we all are looking forward to seeing you here with us
ME: Umm mom, there's something I wanna tell you
MOTHER: sure what is it? are you craving for a certain dish that you want us to cook for you??(I swear I dunno why all they care about is feeding me)
ME: Umm no mom, I just wanna tell you that umm, my hair, my hair has become abit lighter.
MOTHER: Lighter?what do you mean, and how?
ME: Umm theres some kind of a "natural" spray that you put on your hair and it just turns lighter with the sun
MOTHER: what sun are you talking about???There's no sun where you are at, its practically freezing
ME: Oh cmon mom, there is sun but you wont feel the heat cuz of the chill factor, so dont be surprised ok mom
MOTHER: Hmm, ok, we all miss you here....

Poor mom, didnt know what was waiting for her when she saw me at the airport, and the worst thing was that the "whole" family came to greet me, even my dad who never ever goes to the airport. I was waving and waving through the glass, but all I saw were bewildered eyes searching for someone. Hmm, I began to wonder, was there someone else they were expecting on that plane???But then my younger sister started jumping up and down,pointing at me and everyone, I mean everyone stood there with their mouths agape. I guess the sight of me with my new hair shocked them to the core..hehe

My dad started gesturing with his hands for me to go back on the plane, and my brother's face went into convulsions.....Umm what can I say except that I have left them a brunette and came back to them a weird shade of yellowish orange....and I absolutely LURVED it.....

Although it took me quite a while to understand their disgusted views, especially my brother's who said to me that I look like one of those "bad" girls and forced me to go to the hairdressers to "fix" the disaster I had done...Since then, I have become addicted to my hair. I would experiment with every dye I came across, with every style possible. All that done within the confinement of my university years.....I tried bright red, pitch black, yellow blonde, dark brown, aubergine, until I ended up with naturally blonde high lights with a caramel base and kinda got stuck on it.....

Apart from the colouring schemes, I have also discovered the use of the magical scissors. I would watch the hairdressers, and say "wow, thats easy, I can do that, I dont need a degree in hair to cut" and so a star was born,hehe. You know how sometimes when women get angry or depressed they leash their anger on their credit cards???Well my anger was centered around my poor hair. Instead of going shopping, I would hold the scissors and chop until I drop,lol....I would end up with a nasty work of art.

All this kinda stopped when I realised that I wasnt born with artistic fingers and so the hairdresser became my favourate person on earth. I have met so many of them, one in particular was totally nuts. He would keep on saying "eeeet eeez oool eeen zeee cut" hmm, oool een zeee wha'???? I would see him holding the scissors in the air along with some strands but is cutting the bloody air and not my hair.... After 2 gruelling hours, of cutting the air instead of the "hair" he said "oooooooook eeeet eeeez feeneetooo". Feeneeto???huh???I look at my hair its the same, I look at the floor, there's barely anything on it...I looked confused and asked"umm are you done??is this it???"(I was ready to strangle him, there I was sitting on my ass for 2 bloody hours thinking that im gonna turn into one of those ad models with my newest hair cut, FAT CHANCE) He looked at me with triumph in his eyes and said "eeeet eeez ooool eeen zeee cut my deeeeeer"

I got up paid a vast amount of money and left cursing the man, until this day....As for shoes, now thats another story, I am obssessed, totally and utterly.... I love shoes. But I aint going into that just yet. So since HUBBY loves blondes(dunno why all men do) I may pay a visit to a hairdresser and try out the new platinum blonde,yaaaaaaaay, cant wait....Or even better, I will ask for the new craze of Strawberry Red so that HUBBY would realise that his wife has lost it BIG TIME and would stay with me forever to relinquish whats left of the sane moi...hehe

So would it be Platinum Blonde or Strawberry Red???hmmm a difficult choice.....


posted by neurotic_wife at 4:10 PM

10 Comments:

Have you tried the bald look? completly shaving everything. That is what I would like to do one day.

September 29, 2004 at 5:24 PM  

Nice blog ;) Wish you luck there.

September 29, 2004 at 5:32 PM  

The blonde loving thing. I can't explain it myself but a hot looking blonde with nice mammaries and I'm instantly in love. It has to be an evolutionary thing. Blondes = Sex; Sex = Children; Children = Passing on your Genes.

September 29, 2004 at 8:42 PM  

Neurotic wife, I howled at your story, I had a similar experience with the "sun-in". It went ORANGE, not that I hate orange, just not for my hair as it made me look very scary. My sister, who always had long dark brown hair, turned up one day with white spiked hair, She looked great! I'm still not that brave.

I really appreciate your comments on the blogs, your unique position is offering a the rest of us a chance to further understand the problems and desires of Iraqis. Thanks, and love your blog!

September 30, 2004 at 12:58 AM  

Ihath, great suggestion, will contemplate it, since I think by then HUBBY will definitely know I HAVE LOST IT

Milan, Im glad you enjoy my posts tho I gotto admit, that at times they are too nerve wrecking...

Mr Ghost, and how about red heads??I heard red heads are HOT HOT HOT....

Leap frog, I enjoy your comments at the other blogs as well. I apologise that my posts arent really informative about the current situation in Iraq.I have many views regarding whats going on in Iraq, but I tend to keep them to myself and concentrate on poor HUBBY.

September 30, 2004 at 10:41 AM  

REDHEADS.
Oh my God.
I am a RED-O-PHILE.
I almost failed college because of a RedHead girl..
Till this moment, although I got my thing going with an angel who is not a redhead, but my guts still know that there are women, and there are REDHEADS!
I realised that i was attracted to that girl NOT because of her personality or her looks, but because of HER HAIR! if she had any other hair color i wouldn't give her two glances!
Now i've found my own little angel, and although she's not a reddie, but I'm 100% happy with her and will not change her for all the redheads in the world.. (just in case she comes here and reads this! heheh..)
bottom line: Go for Red! its the BEST COLOR IN THE WORLD!
13out.

September 30, 2004 at 2:44 PM  

Salaam Neurotic_wife

That's a very funny story. Expecting a similar one for the shoes. I'd go for the red. Anyway, where in the UK did you study?

September 30, 2004 at 5:25 PM  

AnaRki13, aaaaaaah poor you, so what happened? did she dump you??lol.

Faisal, I was at UCL in London...

September 30, 2004 at 6:55 PM  

Iraqi Wife,
I have to tell you about the wackiest thing I did with my hair. I always fantasize about coloring it in blue or purple but since I work in an office I don't dare do that. So one day I was feeling a bit down and I went to the hair salon and told the woman there to do what she likes with my hair. I told her to do something radical and don't tell me, just do what you like. I have light brown hair naturally and she gave me blonde, orange and dark burgandy red highlights. The red was the most pronounced. It looked so cool and radical at the same time. It was the only time that I did something with my hair that my husband actually noticed. The next day I was talking with my boss and he was staring at me in a funny way. I finally said "Yes Andrea, I got red in my hair, now stop staring". He replied by saying "Oh thank god, I thought I was starting to imagine things". I really really liked it. It got noticed for sure without being too too wacky.

September 30, 2004 at 7:22 PM  

OMG. im a neurotic iraqi wife who's HUBBY likes blonde TOO!!!! I have an appointment at the salon tomorrow and was just looking for the perfect picture online to pick my style, and i came across your blog and thought....OMG its a neurotic thing???? am i neurotic?? WOW. is this what iraqi hubbies do to us?? how ridiculous!!!!!! anyway, regardless, ive come to love platinum highlights, but im scared!! gonna go for it though!! wish me luck! PS: your blog cracked me up! x

October 25, 2007 at 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home