Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: I DO???

neurotic Iraqi wife

September 26, 2004

I DO???

Wow, 5 months ago, like this day I was getting married....Its funny cuz in reality I have only spent 12 days(or was it 13???) with HUBBY. I just got a phonecall from him telling me happy anniversary,lol, isnt he sweet???Then I asked him "HUBBY how long did we give ourselves??"

You see, its been a habbit lately, that whenever we go to a wedding or hear of one, we tend to make bets on how long it will last. I know it sounds mean, but with the divorce rates souring up high, especially with Iraqis, nothing shocks us anymore. So HUBBY answers"I think it was 2years". Only 2 years HUBBY, I would have presumed abit more than that. But hey I have another year and seven months of nagging and complaining, YAY,hehe....

Im actually very anxious to explain to people how Iraqis get married. Actually am not sure how they do it in Iraq itself but this is the way I have seen it to be done in every single Iraqi household I've been to.

Iraqi marriages consist of several parties which lead to the end result of MR and MRS so and so. Bare in mind that I'm a Shi'a and HUBBY is a Sunni(pls dont take me wrong when I specify the sect, but each sect/ religeon have their own special ways)so what im about to say here is based upon my own knowledge base. And I would appreciate it if someone reading this and finds something wrong, then by all means do correct me.

In the olden days women used to look for that perfect bride for their dear sons, either by asking neigbours, friends, relatives if there are girls of marital age, or by attending weddings, then they would keep their eye open for anyone who fits the criteria. After setting their eyes on a couple of them(mind you not one but a handful), they would then ask every single minute detail about the girls and their families, what do they do, where do they live, are they working, are they not, etc... then they would produce the photos to their beloved son, and he gets to choose from a collection(lucky B******).

After that they would ask a mediator to introduce the families only if they have no prior knowledge of each other. This is in the olden days, now it somehow differed, guys would meet their brides to be at colleges, universities, gatherings, outings so on and so forth, they do not really rely on their families to find them the girl of their dreams. Ok, now the ceremonies,
The funniest part in this ceremony is the fact that you tend to chose the number of times the Imam would ask the bride if she accepts. Its a tradition that the more times he asks her and she doesnt answer the more her family are showing that they are not willing to give away their daughter so easily,lol. So you can have the Imam standing there for ages reciting from the Quran and asking her the question :would you so and so, the daughter of so and so, agree to get married to so and so the son of so and so...." It just goes on and on and on....Until finally when the desired amount is said the bride would say YES. wowww finally.

The women would then start making these noises with their tongues(sry I forgot the word in English)which makes the marriage official.(thanx to Ihath and AnaRki13, that word is ululations) Then the groom would go to the bride, puts on every type of jewellery he had bought for her, along with every member of his family, until she looks like a christmas tree. After that they either choose to have a party where the bride changes her outfits a couple of times, or a dinner.

Then the Big day takes place the Wedding day, where you invite everysingle person both families know. Usually its the groom's side that pays for everything but now adays some families tend to share the expenses. The Wedding consists of singers, sometimes belly dancers and what have you, Then the bride and groom would leave at the end of the party inorder to begin their new life together as a Married couple...

Some people may not opt out for the wedding party, they would just leave as a couple after the Mahar ceremony, it all depends on what both families have decided....

Ok so after all this blabbing above, HUBBY and I surpassed every single one of those and cut the chase short. We just had the Mahar, and I only wanted my direct family members attending. I didnt know I was getting married until a few days before that date. It was the only time HUBBY was able to take time off before he leaves for Iraq.

We were planning of having a dinner inviting some people, but the timing was wrong, since a relative of mine had passed away and it wasnt really appropriate...Since HUBBY and I werent too fussy about who would marry us(ie: a Sunni sheikh or a Shi'a one), we opted for a Sunni one cuz the Shi'a one had far more complications about a certain issue. It took about 45 mins until we were announced Husband and Wife, and no I didnt make the poor man repeat a million times if I wanted to get married to HUBBY. I believe that that tradition is only in Shia weddings.

After becoming Mrs HUBBY, we all went out for a simple dinner in one of my favourate restaurants. But the worst was yet to come,lol. I was asked by HUBBY before the ceremony whether I will be accompanying him to his hotel after we get married... Umm, I dont know HUBBY, I have to ask my family. That was the most embarrasing moments of my life. What the hell am I gonna ask my parents" Umm dad, mom, am I gonna go with HUBBY to his hotel to umm make love???"

I surpassed my dad, since there is no way in hell I would have the courage to ask him whether or not I will be consummating my marriage. So I went to my mom.

ME: Mom, can I ask you something?
MOM: sure what is it?
ME: Umm, am I going to HUBBY'S hotel tonight??
MOM: What? what for??
ok by now my face has turned crimson red and I wished I was invisible
ME: Umm mom, cuz you know...you know I will be married
MOM: yes?and so?
ME: MOM, I just wanted to know whether Im going to accompany HUBBY to the hotel or not, thats all.
MOM: No, not tonight. You are going to be off on your 3 day honeymoon tomorrow, so you can go tomorrow.
ME: Umm Ok mom, thanx.

By then I was seething. Till this day No one knows why my mom didnt allow me to go. Even my brother had a talk with her, but she was as stubborn as hell. Poor HUBBY was confused and kept complaining all the time...But I think it was just her way to show HUBBY that we are not giving our daughter so easily to you, just like the tradition with the Imam, since we didnt get to do that.

So what I did was, I woke up around 5 in the morning, packed my honeymoon bag and off I went to HUBBY, who was waiting eagerly to see his wife,hehe.....Arent you glad you married me HUBBY.......

HAPPY 5 MONTHS ANNIVERSARY HUBBY, I DO LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU IMMENSELY.......

PS:Sorry for the long post, but I got carried away.....


posted by neurotic_wife at 1:06 PM

7 Comments:

My name is Madtom and this is my first blog.
There are a lot of blogs out there and I want to make this one a little different. I will post what I see out there or link to news or other blogs that bring news from the front lines.
Once I figure out how, I want to put up a picture in the title of the Norman Rockwell painting "NEWS FROM THE FRONT". Like the characters in that painting we are all eager to hear news from the front.

The thing that I want to do different with this blog, is that I want to post stories from the point of view of all the different characters that make up this war. I want to post stories from G.I.Joe, and from his enemy and from the point of view of their families. The idea is for anyone, be they friend or foe that has something to say, a story to tell, about this, or any war, can send it to me and I will post it here, anonymously.

I am doing this so that the public at large can get an idea of what is going on in this war, and for those doing the fighting can have their stories told. I want to try to do it from all sides. The good the bad and the ugly.
So if you have a story that you think needs to be told, and you want a forum to tell your story then e-mail them to me at thisfckingwar@yahoo.com
Read it all at thisfuckingwar.blogspot.com

There is only a few rules, it has to be good, about a war and anonymous.

September 26, 2004 at 4:40 PM  

that sound that women make in weddings is called ululations in english.

September 26, 2004 at 6:34 PM  

Hey! :))
agollich tara hatha zo`3ol! ilbar7a ktabit salfa 6weeeelaaa about weddings!
:)
i am so excited, only one month left to see hubby! i think all of us have the right to see that moment, after all we all SUFFERED because of his absence;)
haha:)
me*

September 27, 2004 at 9:47 AM  

Madtom, sadly the country I am at,doesnt allow me to open pages with an address that has swear words, GRRRRRRR. I was looking forward to reading your blog. Im sure there is a way but I have no clue how....

Ihath thanx alot for the word. I tried so hard to dig deep into my think mind, but couldnt find the word anywhere.

Khalid, I just read your blog and saw that indeed you have written about weddings,lol, sorry....So did you see anyone "interesting" in the weddings you have attended??? keep us posted....Oh and BTW, I will be seeing HUBBY in more than a month, its a month and 21 days.. :-(

September 27, 2004 at 12:30 PM  

I have received this complaint twice now and the blog is only three days old, talk about GRRRR, If I knew how I would create mirror site without the title, and just call it Madtom blog or something, But I have no idea how. Sorry for the inconvenience I'll try harder.

Madtom

September 27, 2004 at 5:27 PM  

LOL. Cute stuff. It's the same 'round the world: Girls just wanna have fun.

Sissy Willis
http://sisu.typepad.com/

September 27, 2004 at 7:40 PM  

I came across a story about an Iraq wedding and I posted the link on my blog, It has some cool pictures.

Madtom

September 29, 2004 at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home