Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: My Rundown Hurriya Visitor...

neurotic Iraqi wife

October 22, 2008

My Rundown Hurriya Visitor...

Woke up pretty early to catch my ride to Dubai. We didn’t wanna be stuck in their horrible morning rush hour. The trip took me back to when HUBBY and I used to travel through Dubai back to Baghdad. I looked outside the window and saw all those skyscrapers one after the other. Then I smiled. I smiled for I also remembered Mohannad.

Mohannad is a simple 20 something year old guy living in the rundown Hurriya district. He is one of those that I miss very much cause his stories never bored me.

Neurotica, is it true there are those really tall buildings, that you can even see clouds through its windows? He once asked. I remember that day so well. As always I was sitting in the courtyard smoking, while he kept me company. Ofcourse I said with a soft smile. So all these things we see on TV are real, right? He asked for confirmation. I nodded my head. Aha Mohannad. Yes.

Do you have them in London and Abu Dhabi as well? No, not really in London, and not in Abu Dhabi but in Dubai yes. You see a lot of them. Have you ever been in one? He asked. Yes. Did you ever open the window and feel the clouds? Wow that question took me aback. Made me think, have I ever been in one and did that? What a pity I thought to myself. You always take the things you have for granted. I laughed, No Mohannad, I was never smart enough like you to think of doing it. But I promise, next time Im in one, I will try and touch the clouds and will make sure to tell you all about it.

For that hour and 20 minutes, I wished Mohannad was sitting right next to me. I could easily imagine the amazed look on his face. I could easily see his goofy smile lighten his features while he probably stared in shock at the images afore me. I could easily feel his happiness coming through his dark brown eyes and his bushy eyebrows raised up with excitement.

What have these people seen in their lives? Really now. Millions of them have never been on a plane. Millions of them don’t even know whats going on in the rest of the world. Yet here we are, the rest of the so called civilization waking up every day, going about our business as if its normal. Is it really normal? Whats normal? Our life or theirs? No Im not gonna allow myself to fall into that trap. That horrid depression trap. But seriously what have the Iraqis seen in their lives. What have they gained?

I sit here now, this moment, writing these words, and my heart is truly filled with sadness. Yet Im smiling at the same time, for I remembered his words. You know Neurotica, once the Americans leave, I would have saved a fair amount of money. You know what I will do with this money Neurotica? I said, open a bakery? He shook his head. I said, Ummm open a car repair shop? For in Iraq, its either a bakery or a car repair shop, Lol. He shook his head again. What are you gonna do Mohannad? I asked curiously

Im going to get myself a passport and travel. Travel the world. I want to be just like those people I see on TV. Those people who go from one place to the other, carrying bags behind their backs, just like school children and hop on and off planes, trains, cars, busses. This is what I wanna do Neurotica. And ofcourse, I want to go to one of those tall buildings and touch the clouds. Touch them with my own hands, feel them with my fingers and he gestured high up with his rugged rough hands.

Yes I thought to myself. Inshallah you will. You definitely will Mohannad. One day. The car then suddenly took a swerve and I woke up from my sad, yet lovely daydream. We finally reached our destination. And yes, it was great seeing Mike, and meeting up with him in a so called "normal place" after nearly a month of leaving them. I only hope, that Mohannad, that 20 something year old guy will also be a visitor. My Visitor. My rundown Hurriya Visitor...
posted by neurotic_wife at 11:35 PM

9 Comments:

Poem: by John Gillespie Magee

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless falls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor eer eagle flew –And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

October 23, 2008 at 1:21 AM  

I sincerely hope Mohannad gets to live his dream. You made me pause for a few moments NIW, and remember back when I used to skydive. It was so amazing being so far above the earth hanging under that chute. I felt like a cloud, and I never wanted to come down. I hope Mohannad someday gets to touch the clouds from the top of mountain. Nothing mankind has created can ever compare to what God has done. Solo

October 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

HELLO NEUROTICA LUV,IT IS GREATLY SADDENING READING OF ALL THE DREAMS THE MILLIONS OF IRAQIS LEADING A STIFFLED LIFESTYLE & IF ONLY THE MAIN PROBLEM OF THE MEDDLING AXIS OF IRANIEN EVIL IS REMOVED THAT SHALL GO A LONG WAY TO OPENING UP ALL SORTS OF POSSIBILITIES FOR MILLIONS OF IRAQIS TO BELONG TO THE GLOBAL FREE COMMUNITY & LEAD A MORE FULLFILING LIFESTYLE.TALKING OF VISING^& TALL BLDS. DUBAI ,I SUGGESTED FOR US TO MAYBE MEET IN NOV. SOMETIME ALONG THE CREEK AT A CAFETERIA NOT FAR FROM HSBC,& THEN MY DIRECT THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF IRAQIS PART OF THIER BRETHREN,S ARABIAN PENINSULA & IT,S PROSPERITY MAY BE GIVEN A FAIR BREATHER!! MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS BLOG,S COMMENT ON A POS.MEETING POINT.ALL THE VERY BEST OF GREETINGS &KINDEST REGARDS DARLING CHEERS WWW.BFBS.COM.OLAFF:)

October 23, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Well, good luck to him. If he does get a passport and travel, and you learn about it, be sure to alert your readers. I'm sure he'll find plenty of warm, friendly places to stop along his way.

October 24, 2008 at 3:02 AM  

I cannot imagine, Neurotica. So much my senses have taken for granted!

Always,
Melanie

October 24, 2008 at 3:32 AM  

The Egyptian movie you mentioned? Hamman goes to Amsterdam? Now-A-Days Hamman just goes drunk driving. Do you suspect your imaginary friend is under the influence of Post World War I Silent Movies? I'm under the influence of little Mom's that postures like Urban gangsters. They look like lumps of white crab meat with japanimation eyes. Mom's pull up behind me at the red light and point at there crouch. It's total chaos. I have no where to run. Her kids were bouncing around in her big red mini van. I knew if I ran the red light Hamman would fall of his ladder and meet his end. I just let her love the fear on my face. That's what Mom's need in America. What do you need?

October 24, 2008 at 8:43 AM  

i like this post.. very inspiring :)

October 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM  

Stop rules the iraq.

Titanium Body Jewelry
Tungsten Carbide Jewelry
Magnetic Bracelets For Minor Pain Area
Transcendental Meditation
Make Your Own Perfume Today
Let's Talk Jewelry
Sterling Silver Jewelry
Bead Jewelry
Interior Decorating Design

October 28, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Muhannad must have seen this photo of Dubai.

http://villageofjoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/dubai-from-the-burj.jpg

Sam

November 3, 2008 at 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home