Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Away into La La Land...

neurotic Iraqi wife

June 15, 2006

Away into La La Land...

Yesterday for the third time in a row, I refused to go out, and stayed yet again in the vicinity of my room...Infact I was just furious with the man who is supposed to tell us about the other flat...Instead of him saying "tomorrow" I will find out, he now said by Saturday I will know...That just freaked me out and made me lose my temper big time... I charged back to my room and slammed its door.... I think I used to do that when I was 10, but now??? A women in her early thirties crying and slamming doors??? OMG, what have I become into....

It doesnt stop there, I immediately called HUBBY, who thankfully was done shopping for suits...I just exploded in his face, crying my eyes out... As if it is the end of the world....With his calmness, and his words, my erratic crying turned into slight whimpers... He then tried to ask if there was something else bothering me apart from the flat... I couldnt tell him...No way!!! How can I tell him that I miss Baghdad...How can I tell him that I miss my work... I mean I was the one who kept nagging him to leave....Convincing him of a better life.... Little did I know...But HUBBY knows me better, he said in an ever slight sarcastic tone "Do you wanna go back???" Uhoh I thought to myself, and immediately answered "Are you kidding me???, theres no way I wanna go back to that hell hole" Hmmm, what else could I have said....

After hanging up, I made my way back to the TV room, were my parents were sitting....As I came near the door, I overheard them talking about me...I dont usually eavesdrop but when my name came up I was curious to hear the conversation...I tiptoed, and stuck my head as close as I can to the wall...

Mom: Your daughter has become erratic, losing her temper on the slightest thing...
Dad: She is just under pressure in trying to get everything done before her husband comes here
Mom: What can we do to help her??? She is not going out, she is not eating...
Dad: I guess she needs some time...

Then I banged my head when I heard footsteps coming near...I ran tiptoing back to my room, and sat on my bed acting as if Im reading my book....My dad started calling my name with his roaring voice(he has one of those distinct voices, that if you talk to him once, you will definitely remember him the second time)....I immediately got up and ran to him...

Dad: Have you calmed down yet???
Me: No, I hate this place...Im not used to waiting...When I was in Baghdad I used to get my answers from people in a second...And if I didnt, I would try and find out myself, and not just sit waiting like an idiot...
Dad: Well this is not Baghdad, and you have to learn to become patient
As soon as he said that word I splurted out the coffee I was drinking, and started coughing berserkely... I think it went through my lungs...
Me: I said patience??? What patience...The guy keeps saying Tomorrow...
Dad: Well he is trying his best, he keeps saying he wants to please us
ME: Look dad, I dont care, he wants to please us, or he doesnt..these things dont count for me...He eithers knows the flat is occupied or not...Bloody hell, I think I will go to the darn building, and ask for myself...
Dad: I think you need to calm down...Its not the end of the world...You always take rash decisions then regret them....Just relax, dont think about it...

Oh well, I guess so...I do need to relax...BIG TIME!!! I think working continious hours in Baghdad, having no time to even address my social behaviour, is taking its toll on me... I get phonecalls from my siblings asking if Im ok...Yup I am... Why dont u come over???No thanx I wanna be alone...Why??? Cuz I dont wanna talk...Why??? Ughhhh, cant I choose not to talk??? Well yes but this is not healthy...Yesssssss I know...So why dont you come over, we can order in...Im not hungry...You havent eaten for the past few days...(Hmm, now where did they find this out...I think my mom called them up one by one and told them about my behaviour)...Yes I havent eaten, cuz I aint hungry...Can I hang up now???And so my story continues

Come today, and my aunt came over...I havent seen her for ages... As I went to say hello, she gave me the pinching cheeks treatment..."Oh look at you...(oooohing and aaahing while pulling one side of my cheeks to its infinity) I flashed her one of my smiles, and said its nice to see you too...I like this auntie, infact I like all my mom's sisters...They all have an easy going air about them.... This aunt of mine was married when she was just 14...Yup thats how things were then...I think she is in her late 70's now...I cant imagine anyone getting married at that age ...eeewwww...14, barely a kid.... But I do know that some tribes in Iraq still do marry off their girls young, just after she gets her period, she is considered to be of marital age....

Auntie I, who unlike the rest of my relatives, continued living in Baghdad until her husband died 2 years ago...There was nothing wrong with him, he was old... yes, but quite healthy...Rumours have it, he died from depression....After his death, she tried to continue staying in Baghdad but things got really bad, and so she opted to leave and travel between here, Amman and Spain where her kids reside....

Just before lunch, I was asked the dreaded question(well one of them anyway) :How is Baghdad??? Uhoh...here we go again...Pandora's box opening yet again??? Umm Baghdad is fine, you know the same...Nothing new really, car bombings, kidnappings, killings....She nods, yeah I know...her son in law is a very well known Dr. over there...He got so many threat letters, that he moved his whole family to Amman...All Dr's, Professors, Teachers have been targeted...what a shame....

Then the next dreaded question....infact not a question but a factual statement...She goes "Well, its good you are here now, settling down, and making babies" MAKING BABIES!!! OMG....Umm Auntie I, I dont think thats on my mind right now...Her face got all contoured up and said with a slight shock in her voice "why ever not???Its time...You are not young" Hmm, Im only 31, I said...Yes 31, thats old, your womb will rott....eeewww just the thought....Umm Aunti I, Havent you heard about the 70 yr old woman in England who gave birth??? The look on her face was priceless "WHAT???You say 70???" Yup I answer very calmly...Seven Zero...I continued "The medical field is so advanced now, that you can have kids whenever you want, at whatever age..." I wanted to continue and add "And this stone age, backward thinking of having kids just after gettting married because its what the social scene demands of you, IS NOT MY THING..." But I thought better not....Its a good time to practise swallowing my tongue....

Just before she left, she touched my hair and said "You look awful...youve lost weight, you have no cheeks no more, and you have bags underneath your eyes...you should eat" Hmm, isnt it just lovely to listen to these words every waking hour of my day...Oh but she didnt stop there, she continues "If it wasnt for your hair, people wouldnt even look at you" OMG, LMAO....OUCH...Thats exactly what I love about my family...Their straight forwardedness....But did I really look that bad????

I couldnt wait for her to leave and I scrammed to my bathroom mirror... I looked at myself and I was horrified at the person staring back at me...OMG, my aunt is right...I look ghastly... Dark circles below my eyes (havent been sleeping well)...White ashen face (havent seen the sun in days)....Collar bones portruding and I dont think they can go any further.... Hmm, I faked a smile just to check my crow wrinkles...Shit....they have worsened....Oh well...C'est la vie...I think I need to look for a job ASAP...

One of the presentations that I used to prepare is due today... I sent an email to my supervisor, R, and asked him about it...I cant let go...darn...He sent me back saying:
We miss you immensely. Have not filled your position yet,even though we're trying. We will eventually fill the space, but never the spirit that you exuded.I would normally have responded later when I could send a complete e-mail. But knowing your interest in the presentation, which is this afternoon at 1530, thought I'd give you a heads up in the event you feel a chill around that time (whatever your time zone), you'll know the cause.
Lol, I think I did feel a chill...Last night, I spent the whole time looking at photos...Photos from then...Photos of friends....Photos of good times...Shit it seems like a long long time ago...Who woulda known, a month ago.. like this time, I was sitting at my messy desk...working numbers and looking at spreadsheets!!!

Oh and BTW, I cant help but comment on Bush's unannounced visit...I know I shouldnt really talk about that stuff cuz it exhausts me..But I mean cmon, Atleast Al Maliki should have been told a day before hand...Not like 30 minutes or an hour prior to visit...There are protocols to follow...I think the unannounced visit gave a really bad signal to the Iraqi population...I mean OK, for security reasons, granted...but atleast give some respect to the supposedly sovereign country...Im sorry but thats just my opinion...

I think I better go now... (If you need some painkillers for the headache I gave you from my nonsense blabbing then please dont hesitate to ask, I have plenty of those)...Im gonna go and continue reading my novel....Maybe just maybe my mind will drift away...Away into La La Land....
posted by neurotic_wife at 6:01 PM

30 Comments:

Get something to eat!, relax, and have some patients.

June 16, 2006 at 1:12 AM  

As a long time reader of your blog I'm getting really concerned about you. You should talk to someone soon since it seems you are experiencing either depression or PTSD. I'm not a doctor but I have had to battle depression myself and I'm starting to see that in your blog more and more. The isolation, fatigue, no motivation about appearance are common signs. Don't ignore these warning signs and it's really serious. You went through soo much in Iraq and you need a timeout for a little bit to get yourself together. There's ton of treatments out there and they do work just don't ignore what you are feeling right now. You need to realize that it isn't going to get better all of sudden without treatment. In fact it's most likely going to get worse if you choose to do nothing. I say this as a person who has enjoyed reading your words and feel a connection with you even though we are strangers 1000's of miles away. You write beautifully with such wit and passion. Also very funny at times I have had to excuse myself at work since I laughed too loud when reading. Take care of yourself and decide you are going to do something about this. Now.. Right now..! I wish you luck and you are in my thoughts...

June 16, 2006 at 5:14 PM  

you know this may whole thing may end soon - cause look what is happening

Congress takes up troop debate

June 16, 2006 at 6:02 PM  

Grey...Hmm. I left Iraq when I was only 5....I dont think I ever was like this...But you are right...I think the patriotic attachment that we established and the strong friendships we made, is something Im missing alot...

Alma...I am a yoga person...used to practice when I was living London...And yes it was amazing...Im actually contemplating of taking it up again...Thanx for reminding me!!!

madtom...I had a burger today...Yaaaaaaay....Finally something yum entering my tummy...

UH, Lol...I just hear my nephews screaming and I say thanx but no thanx...atleast not now...Would love to have kids, dont get me wrong...but first off, in our own good time...besides I had already warned my mom that I wont accept anyone interfering in that aspect of my life...Once HUBBY and I decide to have kids then that will be the time...even if it means waiting for another few yrs...I do get broody from time to time...But still I need to think with my head and not with my hormones...

Anon, I seriously think its just a depression and the need of adjustment to my surroundings again...No definitely not PTSD...But thanx for your concern...And words like "you make me laugh" really put my spirits high...I think if I can make one person smile...then Im satisfied with my world...Umm, not quite satisfied but u know what I mean...

Anon...I read the article..I have mixed feelings abt troops pulling out...At times I say they should...and let the Iraqis deal with each other...More bloodshed will take place blv me...But if thats what they want (Iraqis) Then let it be...At other times I say no way, they have to stay until Iraq gets the strength to defend itself, and with what I hear from Iraqis themselves, we do not have enough numbers, nor do we have the right calibre...I dunno...Iraq is a mind boggling situation...

June 16, 2006 at 8:20 PM  

they had to have somethinhg....but is this true

Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

June 23, 2006 at 5:43 PM  

the war that needs to be won


Israeli Jets Strike Hezbollah Targets in Southern Beirut

July 15, 2006 at 12:09 AM  

Rice Aims to Achieve Lasting Peaceful Conditions on Mideast Trip

what do you think will be with this...

July 22, 2006 at 1:13 AM  

Al Qaeda No. 2 Calls for Muslims to Start Holy War Against Israel

wefrwefrg

July 28, 2006 at 6:08 AM  

Salesman Accused of Lying About Son's Cancer


not very encouraging

August 5, 2006 at 1:21 AM  

Pakistan: Suspected London Plane Terrorists Have Al Qaeda Connection

totally sick

August 12, 2006 at 12:42 AM  

Iranian, Syrian Strongmen Try to Dilute Hopes for Peace in Mideast

explain this to me

August 18, 2006 at 10:12 PM  

I cannot believe this

Iran Defies U.N. Deadline to End Uranium Enrichment Program

September 2, 2006 at 12:01 AM  

I cannot believe this ----

9/11 TV Film Sparks Clinton Administration Outrage

September 8, 2006 at 10:59 PM  

Bush Battles to Get 'Tools Needed' to Interrogate, Try Suspected Terrorists

this....is crazy....

September 16, 2006 at 12:11 AM  

I cannot quite something...

Chavez Says U.S. Empire Will Soon Fall, Calls Bush 'Devil'

September 22, 2006 at 11:24 PM  

this is quite a thing

Former President Bill Clinton Defends Handling of Usama bin Laden in Combative FNC Interview

September 29, 2006 at 11:45 PM  

Renewed Activity Seen at Suspected North Korea Test Sites, U.S. Intelligence Says

SO PRETTY NUTS

October 6, 2006 at 11:08 PM  

read thsi

Small Aircraft Crashes Into New York City High Rise, Killing Yankees Pitcher Cory Lidle

October 13, 2006 at 11:10 PM  

goo and keep eyes on this

Bush: We Will Consider All Proposals to Help Iraq

October 27, 2006 at 3:42 AM  

California Firefighters Fear Wind Could Push Deadly Blaze Toward Homes, Arson Probed

now we need to be real with this asap

October 27, 2006 at 10:16 PM  

This is pretty insane stuff

Bush, Cheney Meet With Senate Democratic Leaders

November 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM  

Four American Contractors Reportedly Kidnapped in Iraqi Convoy Attack

wfrfr3t5juyu6rbggr

November 17, 2006 at 7:38 AM  

what can be here

Whoa - British Airways to Contact Passengers After Traces of Radiation Found on Planes

December 1, 2006 at 7:57 AM  

EF3RF3RF

Two Missing Climbers Still Sought; Body of Third Identified

December 22, 2006 at 10:44 PM  

sdcwfw----

Gerald Ford Remembered for His 'Calm and Steady' Hand

December 29, 2006 at 4:58 AM  

wewedwe

New Secretary-General to Fill 2 U.N. Posts This Week, Could Bring Controversy

January 4, 2007 at 6:03 AM  

swxswxw
d
w
xc
w
dxw
New Video Appears to Show Body of Saddam After Hanging

January 12, 2007 at 8:12 AM  

wdww

White House Tries to Sell Iraq Plan to Skeptical Republicans

January 19, 2007 at 8:32 PM  

qsdasdsq


In Video, Al Qaeda No. 2 Al-Zawahiri Taunts President Bush's New Iraq Plan

January 26, 2007 at 4:57 AM  

Officials: White House Holding Back Report Detailing Iran's Meddling in Iraq

wedfdwe

February 2, 2007 at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home