Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: The GZ Blues...

neurotic Iraqi wife

March 04, 2008

The GZ Blues...

This is gonna be one yucky post, as its been fermenting since Thursday and I just wanna let it out. So if you don’t wanna know about whats going on at work then stop reading now cuz I know you have probably OD’d on my whining and complaining, but things have reached a newer high, or is it a low?

Ive been saying more goodbyes than hellos lately. The work environment has become far too stressful with people getting the boot left right and center. Good people mind you. But I realized that the American Bureaucracy here is just as bad as the Iraqi one. Infact its becoming a laughing stock among the Iraqis working with us.

B, an Iraqi engineer, said “And we always criticized OUR people on how they employ ONLY THEIR relatives, friends and family members, but look at the Americans. Look at those people who claim to bring democracy and freedom. They are just as bad if not worse” I said “B, I think this should be their mantra “Its not WHAT you know, its WHO you know”. He shook his head in disgust.

Yes its true. Upper Management has no clue what so ever on how to manage this multi billion program. You would think they’d learn from their predecessors mistakes, but it seems they can care less whether they succeed or not. And that for me is a real shame. Then they wonder why does SIGIR or any inspector criticizes the progress of the reconstruction program. Ofcourse they give excuses like the short turnaround of US govt personnel, which did contribute to some of the difficulties we had BUT that doesnt mean that these huge US corporations arent responsible for their OWN mistakes. And there are MANY of those.


I look around me, and all I see a majority of incompetent people put in program management positions. People who have no degrees, no qualifications. People who back in the States were working in fast food restaurants, or supermarkets. I swear to god I am not kidding you. People who probably never dreamt to see 4 figure numbers in their bank account let alone SIX!!! And no, theres nothing wrong with these professions, but please, don’t put them in charge of a billion dollar program just because theyre your friends or the husband of your sister’s friend’s sister!!!

We as in people working here, from Iraqis, to Brits to Americans themselves, realized that you don’t need experience to manage this program, you don’t need an education, oh no. All you need is knowledge of 1- putting power points together and 2- using the sum function in excel sheets. That’s all you need to do to be considered here. Forget the 20 years plus of field engineering, or the 15 years plus of accounting. These mean nothing. Nothing at all. Theres a saying in Iraqi “Nag3a wishrab mayya” which simply translates into, drench it and drink its water, cuz all your certificates, all your degrees come up to one useless pile.

Im extremely upset. And its not just me, even some of the good hardworking Americans, like L and V. As well as my friends the aussies J and F. We are disgusted at how people are getting treated here. Take this example. T an Iraqi Expat, came in to the office on Thursday Morning, only to find the HR guy telling him that he will be flying outta here on Sunday. T was confused. Flying where he asked. The mean horrible HR said, home. You are going home T. T just stood there having no clue what the hell is going on. He went to his supervisor, and all the supervisor said was, Yeah sorry T, but you were let go. Don’t ask me why. That’s the way it is.

T came barging to my area and said “Neurotica, Im leaving. My last day here is Sunday.” Im like yeah yeah, sure. He said “No Neurotica Im serious. They’ve booked my flights home.” I got sooooooooo angry that I started swearing and cursing everyone I knew. HOW COULD THEY DO THIS? HOW. I didn’t understand. I still don’t. T had only two days to pack all his belongings. He managed to ship the majority on Friday. And although T lived and worked half of his life in the States, he, just like HUBBY says he has never ever encountered such ignorant, stupid, uneducated people in all his stay in the US like he has encountered here. “Where did these people come from Neurotica? My wife is an American for god’s sakes, my business partner is an American, my bestfriends are Americans, but they are smart people. Smart, educated and well mannered. I laughed. I laughed and said, welcome T, welcome to the world of Iraqi reconstruction. Welcome to the REAL world.

So T left. And J is leaving us too. J submitted his resignation because he couldn’t deal with the ignorance surrounding him. As for me, Ive started job hunting, Yaaaaaaaaaaay. Seriously does anyone know of companies in the Emirates, or Iraq or even Jordan looking for someone with a BSc in Maths and a Masters Degree in Investment Management? I have experience working with NGO’s like the IOM plus I have worked in consultancy firms. If you do know any companies send me the details. Journalism is also something Im very much interested in. I WILL DO ANYTHING. Please help me get outta here. PLEASE!!! But Im also interested to know What YOU think I should do??? Shall I stick it out? or shall I leave?

I feel that a moment of insanity, or maybe sanity, will come very soon where I will just pack my stuff including my 35 pairs of shoes, hand in my resignation and get the hell outta here, but I sure do need a job to do that. I will go crazy if I dont work, Im a certified workaholic. Although truth to be told, I was never mistreated by management, on the contrary, but I cant take the BS that’s happening to the people I know, and care for. I just cant. Only reason keeping me here, is a psychological one. Cant leave HUBBY. Even though he isnt with me in the same city, I feel more at ease being somehow closER. As crazy as it sounds, but hey I am Neurotic afterall. But Ssshhhh, don’t want any potential employers to know that do we now ;)

I woke up to a bleeding nose this morning due to the dust storm we had AGAIN last night. And right now I have the blues. The GZ Blues…


Footnote: For those who asked me questions and details about this particular post, I will say this here and now, under the confidentiality disclaimer that I have signed, Im bound to keep my mouth shut. And no, Im not the type that would name names so I can climb the ladder of popularity on the acocunt of others. I have my ethics and my principles. This blog is my venting space. The only venting space I have...
posted by neurotic_wife at 9:16 AM

24 Comments:

The same thing happened in South Africa, first only white people had jobs of power and now only black people do. And the country is falling apart as we all slowly leave. Such a shame, it's a beautiful country and will end up like the rest of Africa.

Michelle turns 13 on the 27th of Dec and me on the 6th. So are you a sag. or capricorn ?

Angela

March 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

OMG this was a long post. I am sure it took you more effort to put these feelings in words than you thought it would.
When I feel blue, I listen to the "Still got the blues" by Gary Moore. It has a lot of electric guitar in it that it releases my pain when it ends.
Are you sure the bleeding nose is because of the dust?
It might be a sign of high blood pressure so watch out.

March 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Hey Angela, its a pity though...Im a proud sag,lol..Mine is on the 9th. Three days after you.

Blogiraqi, I knowwwwwwwwwww, MY GOD, it took me 3 bloody days to write this darn post. I hated it, but I just wanted to let it out...cuz hathola 9udug thib7onee, bes areed ahij!!!Ughhhhh. Blood pressure, hmmm, someone else told me that. I doubt it, cuz I only get the bleeding when dust visits us...

March 4, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

NIW,

You said a mouthful and the truth with "it's not what you know, it's who you know". That seems to be one of the basic imperfections in a democracy. I've said it more times than I could count in my life. To some degree, there are checks and balances in the government. But, in the private sector, those with power, say who stays and who goes. Although the government may give a contract to a private company, for the government to later interfere in the private company takes a lot of paperwork and procedures.

You have the choice to accept this shortcoming of the company, stay and do your job to the best of your ability (solely for your own satisfaction), or not accept this situation and leave. If you leave, you can write letters, to those in power, expressing your indignation at the injustices you've witnessed. It may make a difference in time, or it may not. The only satisfaction you might receive is in expressing yourself. That could be heightened if you can get the media involved. However, due to the environment you're in, that may be more difficult than if you were protesting a more general situation stateside.

By all means, don't stay and torture yourself by working for a company, whose ethics aggravate you on a daily basis. Life is far too short for that. If you can stand up and confront those in power, go for it, if you plan to quit anyway. If they listen to you, and appreciate your incentive and determination - great! If they're too blind to see you're trying to improve their company, good riddance, and move on. You certainly have plenty of qualifications to secure another job. I have no way of really knowing, but it seems like you and Hubby are probably both over qualified for the jobs you currently hold.

Kind Regards,
Bamboo

March 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

hi neurotica, i'm glad that you liked that story, it's really incredible and almost impossible not to cry.

what you said about your work environment is exactly what i saw when i joined governmental projects (now i try to avoid them at all cost). incompetent people that were put there by relatives or friends and have no idea of what's going on. their only intention is to make all the money they can before the administration changes. if your friend did not know people like that is because he didn't work for the government before.
and probably things will got worse for you because now the people in charge are afraid that obama will win, which means that they will lose their jobs. so probably from now on they will go in a leeching spree, and perhaps that's why your friend got fired and expelled so hastily.
it's hard to say what you should do. some people see no problem about making money and accomplishing nothing. others can't stand to waste time and life time even if the remuneration is good. the most important thing is not let your work affect your health, so you can have your family when time comes.

tib

March 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

Yes, Americans can be nepotistic too, sadly.

March 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

Imagine my surprise when the accounting leadworker/supervisor couldn't do a simple interest accrual! She is of course now a manager and I was pulled from the accounting division after my inquiring provoked an official policy that rounding percentages to whole numbers before splitting money out between entities was acceptable. Plus or minus 1 percent is a completely sanctioned government error rate here.
Yes, it's not what you know, but who you know. Our current president is the best example of that!
seb

March 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

If you truly want a career in journallism, you're on your way the minute you're ready to NAME NAMES of these contractors. You're on your way with this post. But you're gonna have to be ready to substantiate your claims.

March 4, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

If we Love problems. If we Love problems and the absent minded struggle selectable as who conquers you on a daily basis. We might say we Do not Concur. If our defeat markets an imagined disease we dignify with human proponents in order to gratify our willingness to lay down and Die??? Shame on you blaming your Husband? He's "Black"? Or "The Sun gave you Cancer?" hahaha! Then guns invented the Airliners. How could Speed, addict someone? hahahaha. Now is a short ordered solution for improving the Forty Acres and a Mule Zeitgeist. If your socially adjacent due to threats and bondage, speed might be the only anecdote that keeps your facial structure intelligent under those terror constraints. That much speed! Counteracting speed we would need a whole mess of chaos to quell the workaholics inevitable retaliation against "Top Secret Comfort" that looks like work, smells like "HELL"???. Hello My Name is "Computer". I know that would be one amped up primate...I'll just tell them we are useless now accept it will all pay off when Earth Orbits an asteroid field leave the Chimpanzees alone they can't handle those drugs, Murderers!!!!!!!!!!


I was like "No, they put you in prison for complaining, go back to Hell Demon."

March 4, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

Bamboo, its like talking to a wall!!!WHo do I talk to?Management? I kinda did in a way or another. But no one listens. And yes, the environment did become stale and everyone is complaining...

Tib, funny thing is, T, the guy who was let go was the only guy I knew that loved working here. He even loved the company. Can u blv it???And btw, he doesnt even need the money, he has own company back in the states, well his wife is running it. But he is here because he truly wanted to be...

IM, yup, just like we are. And I, like B thought this only happened in the middle east. In the UAE, we call it wasta. If u dont have one, then forget finding a job. I guess we should call this the American Wasta, moo???

Lol Seb, no comment. I cant stand that man...

Anon, nah, I will never ever put anyone on the line just so I can accomplish something. If i do become a journalist then it has to be for a talent which I sure dont have and not on people's accounts. Afterall, I have my ethics and principles, even though they dont have theirs to act upon them...And THATS the difference between me and them. I know it wont get me anywhere, but I will do it in my own way...

March 4, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

As your Physician..., Everyday before you go to work I would like you to pick a Different Star Wars Droid to "spiritually manifest" as your productive fighting stance. I feel your Inhibitive Imprinting sequences may keep you docile under an Iraqi Naming Space and from what I understand those names are now up for grabs. I'll tell them the planetary suffering motive is the "Sacrifice" we make in order to ensure job security.

March 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

hey, i think maybe i could be of a little help. I know a guy here who's part of a US program to re-assign Iraqi academics into universities if you're interested in teaching perhaps? anyway e-mail me if u feel like it.

I agree, it's who you know.

March 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

"Tib, funny thing is, T, the guy who was let go was the only guy I knew that loved working here. He even loved the company. Can u blv it???And btw, he doesnt even need the money, he has own company back in the states, well his wife is running it. But he is here because he truly wanted to be..."

ah, ok. in all governmental projects that i took part the orientation was "deliver the thing as fast as you can so we can collect the money, don't care about quality because nobody will check it". so that's it, your friend was "wasting" the company's money in good quality work.

March 5, 2008 at 12:24 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 5, 2008 at 1:05 AM  

Apparently the excuse is their gay. They will appreciate broke shit like it has sentimental value. Then Love which was not considered homosexual last time I checked cannot even "conquer all". Even better we'll sell 'em speed so they'll pay us to fix our processes of victimization for us. Why would we market anything else except for defeatism if the speed addicts fear pays us to work for us?

March 5, 2008 at 1:12 AM  

Oh yeah, Science, intelligence rather. The material and the method must be accurate before Humans are allowed to progress in the maintenance of the craft producing proposed quality. They still sell these improperly researched and constructed wares to children in case we actually forget to bomb a victim.

Victims are like queer perversions we need Ritalin to view with correct frame of reference. For instance I'm trained to be ugly when people victimize me and it's infectious. Who knew a house built by killers would get me killed?

March 5, 2008 at 2:29 AM  

Since they used you people and left loose ends be prepared to have those loose end ripped out. The companies will be long gone after the superficial time targets catch the attention of tomorrows rapid eye of cleansing. The humiliating deterioration set out for refurbishing. It's like all that paperwork we keep in physical legal document form is just a targeting arena for people that choose not to use their memories and help one another.

March 5, 2008 at 3:16 AM  

NEUROTICA LUV; YOU REALLY OUGHT NOT TO HAVE ANY REAL HURDLES FINDING A POSITION IN YOUR FIELD & PROFESSION & OR MAYBE JOURNALISM ;YES TIB & SEB SAID IT´S "WHO YOU KNOW "& ONE OF THE WORST POSITIONS TO BE IN IS AN IDEAL VICTIM ALL ON ONE´S OWN EASY PICKINGS TO BE PICKED UPON FOR NO GOOD REASON OTHER THAN PERSONAL PREJEDISIOL DISLIKE ;??! A BUULYING TACTIC CARRIED OUT A CAMPAIGNE BEHIND SOMEONE´S BACK BY A HAYEENAS-JACKALS PACK OF DOGS SCENARIO; ONLY ABLE TO VENT THIER SINNISTER VINDICTIVE PLANS IN DAMAGING SOMEONE´S PROSPECTS IN LIFE SOCIALLY & PROFESSIONALLY ;DOING THE DIRTY DEED INVISABLY & THAT IS A SAD SET OF AFFAIRS THAT TAKES PLACE ;NORMALLY AGAINST A LONESOME INDIVIDUAL WHO´S NOT PART OF A SOCIAL GROUPING & HAS NON OF THE WHO YOU KNOW??!! & OR THE LUXURY OF TURNING TO ANYONE FOR JUSTICE & ASSISTANCE;IDEAL CASE IN POINT THE LONELY PUPIL BEING BULLIED & PICKED UPON IN SCHOOL & OR THE ADULT IN LIFE BEING PICKED UPON BY A VINDICTIVE SINNISTER LOT;THUS YOU MAY WELL ENCOUNTER VARIOUS ATTRIBUTES & MISCARRAIGE OF JUSTICE THAT TAKES PLACE QUITELY AFFECTING SOME!!THAT IS NOT THE CASE EXACTLY ;IN WHAT´S TAKEN PLACE IN YOUR FIRM REGARDING YOUR EXPAT COLLEAGUE ;WHO HAS TO RETURN BACK TO AMERICA ;BUT IT IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW OUT OF THE BLUE SOMEONE IS PICKED UPON FOR NO GOOD RYME OR REASON ;ACCEPT SIMPLY DISLIKED & SUMMERILLY DISPATCHED;!!??ALL IN ALL THE DEPRESSIVE & FRUSTRATING ATMOSPHERE YOU´RE EXPERIENCING ??!! WHO KNOWS WHO & WHO IS OUT OF IT A POOR SOD TO BE PICKED UPON & HOW PEOPLE OF UNQUALIFIED NATURE TEAM UP TO GANG AGAINST THE REST & THE GAME OF UNFAIR CRUEL BEHAVIOUR TO A LESSER OR GREATER DEGREE ??ARE ALL PART & PARCEL OF THE PHENOMINA TAKING PLACE & ENACTED ALL AROUND YOU I.E. THE CONSTRUCTION FIRMS INTERESTED ONLY IN GRABBING & RUNNING OFF!!! THE SO CALLED BLOODY AXIS OFEVILIRANIEN PUPPET-OFFICIALDOM SO CALLED SOME???!!GOVERNMENT MEMBERS IN DIRECT PAY & ORDERS OF THE BLOODY AXIS OF EVIL; WHOS ONLY INTEREST; IS TO CARVE AS MUCH OUT THE COUNTRY & GOUGE IT OUT AS POSSIBLE; & SO NO MATTER ;THE INCOMPETENT NON PROF. APPOINTEES unable to carry out simple actuarial statistical calculas & calculation OR THE INCOMPETENT SO CALLED POLITICIANS NEPUTISM & WHO YO KNOW & WHICH PACK YOU BELONG TO ??!! IS WHAT´S AT PLAY IN TODAYS GLOBE SAD TO SAY ;MY DEAREST NEUROTICA THE ARABIAN GULF REGION & HOME IN ENGLAND THERE SHOULD BE PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITIES OF WHAT YOU´RE SEEKING IF IT CAME TO YOUR DECIDING TO ;MAKE A CHANGE ;MAYBE ABU-DHABI??EHEY:)IF YOU DO COME THERE MIGHT BE POS. to meet in the future :)ALL THE VERY BEST OF MERRY JOLLY GREETINGS;OH & BTH;?HOW ABOUT TRYING "WWW.uts.ae"MR O.OR S.ASKARI YOURS AS ALWAYS OLAFF:)how about"WWW.bfbs.com"in "BASRAH"

March 5, 2008 at 4:29 AM  

It sounds horrible, Neurotica. I don't think the private sector should ever, EVER be employed by Government agencies. Government agencies have enough trouble overseeing their own operations, they are totally incompetent to be trying to oversee private corporations who contract for them. And private sector companies have no motivation to do any oversight themselves, under those circumstances. There's no accountability.

Good luck with your job hunt, I hope you find a good one. You deserve it, after all this :)

March 5, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

I would say not to make any rash decisions. Throw your questions out to the universe and silently wait for the answers to come to you. And they surly will come. I have witnessed office politics in many forms, and it is sad, and people get so emotional over them. Sometimes it is good to move on, but there are times when it can be good to stick it out. I have been in a situation where I just didn't think it was worth it to stick it out but my heart told me to just hold on a bit longer. Before I knew it all had changed for the better. Best of luck to you my dear.
~Deborah

March 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

HELLO DEB :)

March 6, 2008 at 12:12 AM  

nice post. i also liked the one before.
:)

March 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

Cultural iconography fervent explanation of catatonia and exalted communion steadfast at improper explanation for victimization under a guise, "moving on"... Where was Dr. Seuss's Grinch character going? Love??? healed Tiny Tim (real name "Tim Cratchit") from Dickens "The Christmas Carol"???. I would imagine for every Dictator pinned up in a Gallows their is one small ineffectual strangling in a bed. When the Dying are being cultivated for suspension involving communicable messaging promoting simple communication speaking of the same necessity necessary to stop that child's asphyxiation...The Adults are not grown up and a murderer blessed when a civilization passing rejoices in lesson's parasitic. The answer is not "Kill". Accuracy and control is Love replaceable under Pharmaceutical drug. Revenge is not the only thing they've put in a bottle??? Or an old Man immortalized aesthetic. The wealth of parasitic comfort and a shield with eyes on it? All these databases provisional pacifiers under assassins whore monopoly. I want to settle down someday without being disrupted?

March 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM  

Lemme see.... I'm going to say you're either KBR or USAID or whatever they're calling PCO these days, JCCI? please not DoS..that would be just traitorous.

Jeeze, its a good thing you keep your identity hidden because you would be fired in a heartbeat for being a dangerous sympathizer in a hostile environ. We had those too, and yes, I lived in the IZ (why the hell do you still call it Green Zone? It changed back in 2004). I lived there for 3 years. And we had people thinking they could trust the locals.

3 marriages....go on, ask the RSO. 3 marriages to locals and every one turned out to be an elaborate setup by insurgent sympathizers.

You, missey, I dont trust. I only wish you werent in any position above O&M on that contract.

March 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home