Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Normalcy in an Abnormal Country

neurotic Iraqi wife

December 03, 2006

Normalcy in an Abnormal Country

You know what, I think IM gonna take Sam's advice from the comments and write about the ordinary people. Im sick and tired of politics and the news. If you want news then check out yahoo. For now though, IM gonna be in my unphased mood...

Ever since I got back nearly two months ago, my colleague S, became my lunch partner. Everyday we would go and have our lunch together. S, who is an Iraqi Christian, turns heads wherever she goes. She gives out that aloof aura that reminds me of the models on their catwalks. She is by no means tall, but infact petite and slim with long blonde hair that sways past her waist. Her looks is that of an assyrian goddess with a prominent nose and a defined jaw. I never pried into her private life, never asked why she isnt married or if she ever wanted to. Never asked about her past time and her hobbies.

I was always curious about how my colleagues spend their time when they leave the GZ after work. BUt I just couldnt bring myself to have a normal conversation with S or with anyone else for that matter, feelings of guilt always empowered me because of whats happening around them from death and kidnappings. But to be honest, I just got fed up asking about how the situation is outside, cuz whether its S or Z or W or M, everyone is gonna say the same thing. Everyone is gonna say, the situation is BAD and will go on about the morbid realities. And so I decided to stop asking.

Yesterday, as I was sitting with S having lunch, I hesitated but then said, so what did you do yesterday? What do you usually do on Fridays since it’s a curfew morning? S smiled, and said cheerfully Friday is my maintenance day. I sat there, not believing that I heard the word “maintenance”. I raised my eyebrows and said oh yeah, how so? She looked around (making sure no one is looking) then she lifted just a teeny bit of her jeans and showed off her smooth legs, lol. I could almost see the twinkle in her eyes. She then pushed her shirt sleeves up and said and those, then she moved her bangs away from her eyes and lifted her eyebrows, and said those as well. I laughed so much, and said, wow, so you are just like a aroosa (bride) now. Naaaaah she said, I dont want to be one, men are crap. I laughed profusely and nodded in agreement.

Hey, but your HUBBY is sweet she said in bewilderment. Yeah I replied but that doesnt mean that men arent crap anyways, and this time we both laughed. Then it was my turn and I lifted abit of MY jeans and showed off MY smooth legs too and that got S laughing. I told her how bad they got and how bad I felt for HUBBY to have to look at them. I then showed her my arms and said not only you are a aroosa but I am one too now. How do you do them, she asked. Is there a place here in the GZ??? I shook my head waiting to finish chewing my food then answered no, I do them myself every blue moon, with my antique epilator machine, which I cant live without. Which one braun or philips. No braun I answered. What about the ingrown hair??? And the conversation continued...I couldnt remove that smug smile off of my face. I sat there in utter bliss, and for one second, for one second, I imagined I was having lunch with S, at some ordinary cafe, in some ordinary country, talking about ordinary stuff.

S then looked at my sweater and asked, is that a new top? Aha, I got it on the net. I didnt bring any winter clothes with me and so I went shopping galore (yup my internet shopping did arrive, yaaaaaaaay). It suits your eyes she said. My top is new too, I bought it from Karrada she continued. Her top was pretty, one of those cute long sleeve tops with a wrap around belt, very chic and fashionable. I couldnt believe the fact it was from here. Wow, I said, its very nice, where do the shops get their products from? Turkey, Syria and China, we have everything here, she said. Depends on how much you wanna spend.

I have always liked S. S was the first person I sat next to when I first joined last year. She never pried nor gave me the weird looks that everyone else gave me at first. S is very straightforward and doesnt have those backstabbing antics that many of the people in the office have and maybe thats why I felt kinda close to her. I told her you know, I never thought I would be having such a conversation with anyone here. I feel weird, weird and guilty. Why she asked, and I said, cuz its a war zone, and people are dying everyday. She then smiled gently and said, well, think about it this way. When WE come here, we WANT to FORGET about whats happening in the outside. So dont feel bad, life does go on you know and I will still continue to wax my legs, she winked. With that, we finished our food and headed back to the office.

Yesterday is a day I wont forget. It may sound utterly stupid and totally silly to others, but to me, it was a moment. One of those moments you wanna capture on film. A conversation that I will always remember, a conversation that will always bring a smile to my face. For its a moment of normalcy. Normalcy in an abnormal country.
posted by neurotic_wife at 10:02 PM

10 Comments:

Do hold onto S. and her friendship. Personable, strait forward, honest (non-backstabbing) female friends are not always that easy to find. I have a treasured friend like that, and even though she ended up moving a 1000 miles away, we're still best friends. She's been totally trustworthy for 18 years and always has my welfare in mind and best interests at heart. That's how REAL Christians are. Unfortunately, there are far too many people, who are Christians in name only.

December 4, 2006 at 4:48 AM  

I did not mean in my post that you could not talk about Politics with the ordinary people....LOL. But I enjoyed the story nonetheless. And I'm glad you got a mental break from the war.

I had a best friend here (I live in the states) who lived with a Turkish man, and when they were first in love they both shaved all their hair off like muslim newlyweds. She said she'd never do it again because she started to itch in certain places...lol.

Amazing though, that shopping can be done online and arrive in Baghdad, even in the green zone. I didn't know that was possible. I have something to ask also, does your friend hide the fact that she works in the zone? I had read somewhere that Iraqis hide their employment there otherwise they risk execution.

December 4, 2006 at 6:25 AM  

WOW NIW!! That was one of the TOP-10 topics...
At least you have a friend there that you can trust and share thoughts with her.

Yalla 3eeni emti3eena bmwa'7e3ich el7ilwa :)

December 4, 2006 at 11:59 AM  

Glad to hear you found a little island of sanity in S, I.W.

December 4, 2006 at 3:00 PM  

Nice to have you giggling and smiling again!! The dreary situation does get to us all sometimes!!!

December 4, 2006 at 9:49 PM  

Dear Iraqi Wife
I wonder if there is such a thing as normal country? Not here in the U.S. The evil that surrounds us, knows no boundaries, in the summer of 04 my mother was kidnapped, drugged,raped, forced to sign over the deed to her properties, me dad died of a broken heart she is dying now! I made this video in memory of them. Please come and share my grief as I share yours.

http://elder-abuse-cyberray.blogspot.com/2006/12/id-love-you-all-over-again.html#links

December 5, 2006 at 10:41 AM  

;)
nice NIW!
take care, and keep up

December 5, 2006 at 3:38 PM  

Thanx Sam NY...For once, you liked what I wrote ;-)

Anon, I know, she is probably the one person I can talk to freely. And her being a christian makes her feel somehow outcasted from the rest of the females. I dont really see why, but you dont see them mixing with her like the others...Pity, cuz she is probably the only genuine person around.

I know you didnt mean it Sam, but I myself am fed up of politics and the shitty situation Iraq is in. And by the way, stop scaring me, cuz everytime I wanna write about something, you mention it before I even start...You psychic or somethin???lol

Howie, Im glad you are able to read the "red words against the green background" Lol...Thanx for your nice words. So youre married to an Iraqi??? Is she neurotic too???

Lol MM...You enjoyed it????Top 10, so what are the other topics???

Yes Solo, my time with S reminds me so much of my time with my own bestfriends. Makes me nostalgic for all the silly times and silly giggles we had...The good old days..sigh..

Calabar, yup it sure does. Especially in a place where laughter is very rare...And some how guilt stricken...

Thanx Geo...

Cyberray, Im so sorry. So sorry to hear about your ordeal. Im gonna check your site as soon as Im done writing my next comment..

Cile, Thanx...Im trying as best as I can to bring the forgotten people of Iraq to life. They are real people Cile, real people who are getting crushed every day...Everyday of their lives...

December 5, 2006 at 10:33 PM  

huh just saw this! and it fits you to a tee!

August 23, 2007 at 8:21 AM  

Your post is really interesting that's why I enjoy reading this.

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home