Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: The Damn Blue Rotating Chair...

neurotic Iraqi wife

October 31, 2006

The Damn Blue Rotating Chair...

The Power of the Chair...I dont get this passionate love relationship between someone and a chair. Power??? Money??? What changes a person 180 degrees in one day, when given the authority to sit on that chair???

A few days ago, we had an all hands meeting. At the meeting, we were told that our Sector's Prog Manager had undergone 2 bypass surgeries in the States and needs to stay there for atleast 3 months for recovery. When these words were uttered, I was shocked. R and I were very close. I like him because he is very straightforward. He is the same person I ended up shouting at when things became pretty bad the last time I was here, yet, when I emailed him (after finding out HUBBY was adamnt in coming back to Iraq) asking whether they needed me, he was more than happy to say yes. Although before I arrived he emailed me and told me that something came up and he had to go to the States.

It was later on, at that meeting that I found out why he had to go so suddenly. I didnt get to see him. After that bombshell, they named my colleague S as the Prog Manager. S and I joined almost together, I arrived end of May last year, he was here, 3rd week of May. S is the type of person that tries to please everyone, especially the govt leads. I didnt even know how things worked here, until one day, back in Sep of 05, I was ready to blast a LTC that I havent even met. As you know already, or from what I have told you, my tongue is pretty long, and when I get pissed off, I dont care who it is Im talking to, never even had any clue about ranks etc... doesnt make a difference to me...I just say whats on my mind. (Something my parents always complained about ;-)

I remember very well, as I was on my way to give a piece of my mind to the new LTC, S rushed to me and stopped me. Told me "You cant do that, he is a LTC" and me being me, I just shrugged and said "and so???". S was ready to shit in his pants, I swear. He said "Please, you have to understand, they are our client, you cant go and talk rudely to just anyone, things dont work like that here". I looked at S, smiled and said, oh well, I guess thats the way I do things, and no one can stop me. And Off I went to see the LTC. Who btw, later on became LTC Perfect...One of the best people I have ever met in my journey of life...It was because of his professionalism that I started paying more attention to my work, and ended up loving what I was doing. It was because of LTC's perfect ways that made me admire the Air Force. He too had his moods, and he too couldnt keep his blunt tongue inside for long, maybe thats why, I liked him, he was as straightforward as I was...

So in anycase S always tried to calm me down, not because he likes me, no, because he cared for the damn award fee and what the govt thought about the whole team. In anycase, a few days ago, he took over, became the sole owner of "The Chair" and boy oh boy, did S become one selfish person. For the past two days, I have been working so hard on some numbers. I mean even my eyes probably became crosseyed. Although I use excel, I always do everything manually incase of a glitch. I double check my work like 5 times before I hand it in. And when I say numbers, I mean alot of numbers...AFter I was done, and graphed these numbers, S comes along, takes my graph, shows it to Col H, and the Col, jumped off of his seat, patted S on the shoulder and told him "Oh S, I havent been happier in the 2 months that I have been here, like today. Well done S, you have made my stay here worthwhile!!!" I just sat there, staring, with my mouth agape, not believing that Mr S here, took all the freakin credit!!! O M G!!!

I sat numb, waiting for atleast a whisper of thanx from S, but nooooooooooo. S just continued being patted on the shoulder and congratulated for the wonderful work he has done...not forgetting ofcourse that smirky smile on his face!!! I mean that just pissed me off. It really did. I dont care whether the Col was happy or not, all I wanted was just some kind of appreciation for the time my crosseyed eyes spent!!! I immediately took my cigarettes and went out for a smoke. I was just FUMING!!! S tried to be nice and everything, still no thanx for the damn hard work Ive put in...I didnt even bother to answer him. I became very cold, and my respect for him just evaporated.

When I told HUBBY that S became Prog Manager, he couldnt believe it. A guy with no management experience being responsible for one of the biggest reconstruction programs in all of Iraq was a joke to HUBBY. I defended S, and said that he is very smart and althou doesnt have leadership qualities atleast he knows the program off by heart, and what a good decision it was to make him the lead, BLAH BLAH BLAH...umm that was yesterday's conversation. After what happened today, I went on Skype and told HUBBY everything. HUBBY did nothing but give me the "Looooooooooooool" and asked me to remember lastnight's conversation. Which really didnt make light of the current situation.

Ontop of all that, the chair has given S some weird powers. His walk became different...(I couldnt change my walk even if I wanted to in a million years)... his attitude became that of a "dont talk to me now, I dont have time"... Wowwww, how a person can change just like that, it really amazes me... S was never authoritative with me or with anyone else for that matter. I think he feared me, I dunno, maybe cause he knows when I lose my temper I really make a scene and I dont think he wants any of the Govt people to see that or else wave goodbye to the award fee. Thank God, even with my attitude problem, when I do have one, never was I disliked by anyone.

But now, with S and his newly acquired personality, I feel that my temper is gonna go haywire. Patience, something I do not have will have to visit me soon, or else, ms neurotica here is gonna lose her mind!!! So what is it with "The Chair" ??? The Damn Blue Rotating Chair???
posted by neurotic_wife at 9:23 PM

6 Comments:

I think you're right. The chair does have some sort of mysterious power. There was a person I worked with, who was nice enough, who got promoted to supervisor, and turned into the same kind of person as you were describing S. I wonder if it's the chair, or the type of person he was to begin with.
I can't believe he took credit for your work. That would make me so angry. Just keep doing your best, that way you can at least take comfort in knowing it is your work, not his.
I hope things improve there. Has he been permanantly promoted, or is it just until R returns? Hopefully it's just a temporary thing...
take care and stay safe!

November 1, 2006 at 1:10 AM  

Well some day you or "Hubby"
will occupy "the chair" Eh ???

You need not check your Excel
calculations by hand ...
but you should check that the data
you entered is correct ...
Thats where an error will occur
in the entry of Data ...

In fact if you have a great deal of work your group needs to learn
how to program Excel so one can read data into it automatically
(from say text files or a database)

Take some time search on Internet
and/or get an Excel book ...
Thats how you can enhance your job skills

November 1, 2006 at 7:24 AM  

Look at our local leaders and how they are sitting on their butts sticking to that damn chair...and they say : "Me, and the hell with every thing"

Be patience dear

November 1, 2006 at 8:26 AM  

NIW,

This is a response to the previous "I just want to feel like a woman" post. When I was deployed in the Air Force to Kuwait a few years ago, I'd paint my toes bright red. Then at the end of a loooong day, I'd take off my boots and see 10 little shiny red jewels looking up at me. Basically, at the end of the day, I still felt like a woman. And I have to thank my mom for sending it with no questions asked.

As for S, where do I start? All I can say is Karma is a bitch with a capital B!

I could say something like hang in there, or turn the other cheek, but screw that...S is in need of an ass kicking.

Melanie

November 1, 2006 at 8:37 AM  

Hi TG, I think its definitely the chair...And yes he has been permanently promoted. I dont mind that at all, but it bugged the hell out of me when it was ME who spent hours upon hours to do that work, and yet he just ignored my efforts.

Hi anon, umm, no thanx, if the chair will make me a B***** then I dont want it. As for excel, its not calculations that Im checking, its just like you said its the data. If the data is wrong then definitely the calculations are wrong. The data is like more than 1000 line items that I have to go through each and everyone. Even if I do the sort using excel, I also do a manual one just to be in the safe side, incase I miss any columns. Thats how fussy I am with my work...But thanx for the tip.

Yeah Marshmallow, I knowwwwwww. So typical isnt it??? Kul ma wa7id yijee 3al kursee yug3ud oo ichallib beeh...3abalak mashayif karasee...lol

Lol Melanie, I loved your description of the 10 little gems. I think what you did was great, its just ofr ones self and not anyone else. But I cant seem to get myself to do that here, I dunno. Maybe its the atmosphere, or the guilt. Im not quite sure. Although I hate red nailpolish, HUBBY keeps begging me to put some on...Maybe one day, for a special occassion, I will do just that and surprise him...Will think of you when MY little gems peep at me...

Ebb, I know of Amira from her sister E, who works with me. Her situation hasnt changed, and the NGO I contacted is trying to get some donations, but ever since I got here, I got a call from him and I was asked to submit a few more papers to explain the case more clearly, Im still waiting from E. As for the paypal I set up, I keep getting emails asking me to upgrade account, but Im still trying to do it anonymously and it wont let me. I think its time I give them a call. Many people have donated but I havent claimed the money yet. And btw, tahnx for caring and asking about Amira. I really really appreciate that...Thanx ebb

November 1, 2006 at 8:28 PM  

Enjoyed your blog very much! Especially the videos! Thank you!

November 10, 2006 at 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home