Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Land of Survival...

neurotic Iraqi wife

October 13, 2006

Land of Survival...

Hello from the Green Zone (Take 2), lol. Ive been here a few days now and the feeling is just great. Remember how I said that my home is always where my parents are, no matter what. Well this is now my second home. My second family. The welcoming I got when I went into the office is beyond any expectations. The hugs, the smiles, someone even picked me up and twirled me around!!! To know that I have made such an impact on people's lives is the most gratifying feeling ever. I cannot describe it, words wont do any justice. People I dont even know came up to me and told me welcome home. Im so glad to be back.

I got my welcoming home from the insurgents as well. The night the arms cache was hit, the whole compound shook. I thought my windows were gonna crack. I did go abit frantic cuz I was worried about HUBBY who isnt staying in the same place. I didnt have a mobile phone at that time and so you can imagine the panic I was in. HUBBY had introduced me to SKYPE. So I immediately logged on and tried calling him on the net. After 10 mins, he was on. He too was going crazy. Its funny when I recall the events but it wasnt funny then. It sucks not being together, especially in such circumstances.

As for my Iraqi colleagues, wow. I mean with all whats happening in Baghdad, these people are just amazing. With all whats happening around them, they still manage to survive and most importantly to smile. They say life goes on. We cant just lock ourselves at home. We have to live. I sat with every single one of them, asked them about the situation outside. I got the same answer. Things are bad. Things are beyond control. The government is useless. No one knows why people are getting killed. The militias are everywhere. One guy even told me, that everynight he prays to god to give him an extra day to spend with his 9 month year old daughter and when he does wake up to see another day, he prays his thanks and goes and kisses her a million times.

Six or seven of my colleagues have moved houses because of threats from different gangs. Some are Sunni and some are Shia. An Iraqi guy who works as security with Aegis, said that some gang came into their street, killed his uncle and told the family to leave the house that night. They are five houses, all brothers with their families. He said we were forced to leave everything. All the carpets, the crystals handed down from generations. He said he had spent most of his salary renovating his house so him and his newly wed wife can live comfortably. His face went sullen and said "all that is gone. Its all gone to these criminals"

W, our Iraqi friend, was also forced to leave his neighbourhood, after his 60 year old father was held at gunpoint next to the garage door. They beat him up and stole his car. So they decided to move to a safer area. But no where is safe he says. Its you and your destiny. W was married in January. His wife is the sweetest thing alive. So pure, so naive. Her face never stops smiling. She is one of those people that you love instantly. W said that he wants to leave Iraq. He hates it. Stopped believing in a better future. I want to leave, I want to have a better life, a better life with my wife. I want to have a family, he says. No one is giving visas to us. We are victims, under Saddam's time we were victims of terror, and now, we are still victims.

S said if this is freedom, then I dont want it. If this is democracy, then to hell with it. In Saddam's time, we knew who was coming after us. Today we dont know which direction the bullet, the suicide bomb, the militia will come from. She said, Im in my thirties, the peak of my life. The time where I should be enjoying my life. And yet look at me. Im Christian, yet Im all covered up. I cant even say Im Christian. I cant wear my cross. I have to do it all in hiding. But we are survivors.

Every single person I spoke to is now trying to find a way to leave this place. Some have entered the American Lotto for immigration, others are looking for contacts to get them to Sweden or Ireland. Others are just saving money so when an opportunity comes they will immediately take it. They are willing to pay any amount as long as they get out. They dont care how or where. They just want out. They even went into conspiracy theories. Like this is all planned. This is all a game made by Americans so they can give Iraq to the Israelies. Its sad, but after 4 months of not being here, opinions have changed dramatically. Atleast a year ago, they had hope. Now, all that is gone. We want the Americans out, they say. We want the corrupt Iraqi government out.

As for work, well its like I havent left. Things are still the same. Many of the expats have left though and many more are leaving. As I read the reports to get back into things, I realised that many new projects are on the list. The issues are the same. All the projects that were managed by Parsons, is now suffering. Ceilings are leaking, tiles are cracking, pipes are clogged, generators broke down. The program managers are suffering from the aftermath. So if a project's cost with Parsons, lets say was $1M, now its costing the US Gov, $2M. Because the work has to be redone all over again. As for the Iraqi Subs, well its you and your luck. Some just stopped caring. They would bill for the best concrete, but instead they would use the cheapest material. I guess they learnt the trick and became experts. All they want is money so they can leave the country and live lavishly elsewhere. Their excuse "Everyone is stealing, so why shouldnt we". But you do have others who genuinely care. And who will do their best.

As for HUBBY, he is very content where he is at. The people are different, and they dont backstab you like WOB. He says, atleast they listen towhat you have to say. They even value the fact that he is Iraqi originally, which for them is a great asset. Unlike where Im at. An Iraqi expat is sometimes looked down to. Not me, but others. Speaking of WOB, OMG, the minute she saw me, her face just went squishy squashy. She didnt even smile, just said a simple hello. Im avoiding her like the plague.....

I guess thats all the news from me for now. If there is anything you want to know about, like any specifics, please do email me or leave a comment so I can answer your questions in my next post. Oh and before I forget, Thanx to all of you who donated. Thank you very much. I still have to figure how the hell to use paypal. Well, I better get goin. Its Friday, but for me its like any other day, a work day. For now, Im Back, Back to the land...The Land of Survival....
posted by neurotic_wife at 10:04 AM

13 Comments:

Hi NIW ...good to hear from you again and to know you are safe in the Green Zone. Thank you too for all the vignettes of life there. We know how hard it is, we see it every night on our TV screens but to hear individual stories always seems to move us more. The image of your friend kissing his daughter with such love each morning brought tears to my eyes. We in the "West" take family life so lightly and forget to thank our Maker for all we do have each day. If you could tell your Christian friend that we pray so much for them knowing that they cannot worship in the way they want too but the Lord is still their fortress and strong tower and always will be. We pray also for your continued safety and that of your hubby. Many blessings as you settle back in.

October 13, 2006 at 10:34 AM  

Great to know you made it, now I can stop refreshing your page so often!

There is now much talk of partitioning the country. Does anyone think it will help?

Oh, and stop smoking, it's bad for your health :)

October 13, 2006 at 10:47 AM  

It was exciting to hear you arrived, however I am concerned for your future there. There seems to be more talk of a 2-3 month timetable where the U.S. will make a decision on a new direction. You asked for questions and I have 2. 1) What is your impression of the Lancet report on iraqi war casualities? 2) What is the story on the former ex-pat electricity minister being convicted of crimes by the Iraqi court and then being "taken" to the U.S. embassy for safety? Stay safe. Sally

October 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM  

Hello Neurotica,

Salamat 3eyooni...

Now, I can tell that we have to visit your blog twice a day, cuz we never know, you might post more than one...

How did you find Baghdad? More scarey or not? Or are you feelin more nostalgic than before??

Tomorrow I am going to Erbil to take my test, and will post right after that...

See ya and welcome back

October 13, 2006 at 1:59 PM  

Glad you made it back to Baghdad safely. Your descriptions brought the people you wrote about to life for me. Thanks for all you share!

October 13, 2006 at 2:15 PM  

Heartfelt Post NIW,
Tells the situation as it really is from an insiders POV.
I agree with the British Army Chief
They need to get out of Iraq ASAP as they are simply aggravating the situation and causing more hurt.

Still trying to catch up and fill me in on the past two years of ur life. (smile)

October 13, 2006 at 4:44 PM  

hey, glad to hear from you again. Please take care and be safe...

I heard a lot of people I know talking about this American Lottery thing. I have been told that many are receiving emails from some unknown people asking them for money or account number.

October 14, 2006 at 12:44 AM  

Wow!! I admire your courage and I am glad you made it home safe.
I can’t believe the stories. That is awful! I don’t understand why we’re killing each other.
Good luck and post more about those stories so everybody can hear them.
Thanks for sharing.

October 14, 2006 at 12:47 AM  

Hi Neurotic_Iraqi_wife,

yesterday I spent nearly the whole day reading your blog from the beginning.

I'm deeply impressed and inspite of being from a totally different background your emotions are very familiar. Except for one thing: I don't know if I could ever be so courageous.

As I am German, I have a different approach to the Iraqi issue concerning the American and British troops. I often wonder what would have become of me if the US had stepped back from my country three or five years after the invation. Probably I wouldn't even have appeared in this world.

My family was on the lucky side and I had the chance to grow up peacefully. But I'll never forget the fears on every occasion the UdSSR clashed with the US. As a child we were trained for bombing situations and I hated the sound of the sirens.

This all is nothing compared to what Iraq is going through right now. But as I learned to rely upon the US and knowing it was a good choice, my personal approach is subjectiv and emotional. I cannot overcome my gratefulness to the US and am thanking god that I was not born in Vietnam instead of Germany.

My thoughts and hopes are with you and your country.

October 14, 2006 at 1:39 PM  

1. Hamdilla 3la Slamtich yumma.

2. Change the template.


3. glad you're feeling so great, you gave me an infectious surge.

October 14, 2006 at 3:12 PM  

hey NIW,

I'm glad you made it safely. Reading the first sentences of your post made me feel your were home again.

The template colors make it hard to read the posts, They also spread beyond my 17" monitor. So, I add my voice to Kofused Kid that change of template will be much apprecaited.

Take care and stay safe.

October 14, 2006 at 9:42 PM  

So glad to know you made it there safely! Although I was hoping the situation wouldn't be so bad, the conditions sound like what I expected to hear. It's hard to understand why things are getting progressively worse, when there are so many millions of people wanting the situation to improve. On the surface, it seems like millions of people and billions of dollars all cheering for Iraq should be making life there better for everyone. Things under the surface must be really screwed up.

This is a true test of wills between the majority, who want peace, liberty and personal freedom, and the godless minority, who want to terrorize, torture, oppress, and force everyone to live like robots - all thinking, dressing, and behaving like the head choppers tell them to. Time will tell who has the strongest will to survive.

The sentence from your post that really surprised me was, "I'm so glad to be back." I guess that says a lot about your will in this conflict.

BTW, I like the new look of your blog and the colors you chose!

I think of you often, and pray for your and Hubby's well being.

October 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM  

NIW,

It's so good to read your blog that you have made it safely to Iraq. We will pray that this will continue, in spite of the madness that seems to be taking over.

October 15, 2006 at 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home