Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Another Plain Day...

neurotic Iraqi wife

October 27, 2006

Another Plain Day...

What do people in the green zone do when they get bored??? And before you continue reading, please bare in mind that for this post Im only thinking about myself. Im not even gonna take into consideration the Iraqi people who are suffering beneath the zone's parameters. For now, Im gonna be selfish and not talk about the outside. Simply because that subject always tend to have a tinge of sadness...So for now, Im putting that aside...

Back to my question. What do people do in the Green Zone when they get bored???Have a swim at Liberty pool???I never did that. Go to the Gym??? Never did that either. Take some exersize classes like kick boxing to calm away the nerves???Hmm that may sound like a good idea especially for my temper. Maybe cycle around the GZ streets??? Dont think thats a good idea. How about have some eeewww coffee at the PX arena??? As much as I get tempted, that coffee really sucks. Or better still, maybe do some shopping at the PX??? Everytime I go there, all my yummy chocolates are gone. What about going to Blue star for edible food???Yup the one and only place I get to go to. Hmm, you hear all the above and you think we are living in Paradise. I sound like an ungrateful B***** dont I???

Well, there are things you can do without and there are things you really do miss. I miss my family and thats a given. But I also miss my bestfriends. My bestfriends who back home I would be on the phone with almost on a daily basis. I miss the girlie talk we would have. Here, you are like a walkin talkin machine. You wake up and go to work. At work all you do is TALK work. You go back to the room and its you with the amazing company of the dull TV or a book. Its a life that yes I chose for myself, so dont go telling me its my fault, cause I aint whining, Im just stating a few facts of how it is for a woman here. Atleast how it is for ME here.

When I do hear my Iraqi colleagues talking about clothes, I feel pretty awkward cuz I dont even know the names of shops they are talking about. Umm I do recognize some street names, but thats as far as my knowledge can take me...Street names....When I hear them talking about their latest purchase of shoes, I just listen and cant really contribute. I think back of my time with my friends, and sigh, then I slip quietly back to my workstation. At times I do get that urge of talking about clothes, talking about shoes, talking about hair. Talking about whats new and whats not, hell Im a woman!!! Yet I find myself talking about spreadsheets and numbers. Questions that need answers, deadlines that have to be met, taskers that need to be done, and all the femininity just goes out the door.

So yesterday, after finishing my work up, I decided to go on a shopping spree!!! Havent done it in a long long time. Back home, I wasnt much of a shopaholic, used to be in my youth, but lost that gift a long time ago. It became more of a mundane task of going to the mall, going to the specific shops I need things from and then returning back home. So shopping just to please my desire is somehow a dream from the past that began to haunt me again...

My shopping spree was amazing. Went to Abercrombie & Fitch, bought a few pairs of jeans, visited the beautiful aisles of Victoria's secret, oh and found a really nice winter jacket at Aeropostale. Went to drugstore and bought a few woman's necessities. Checked out BCBG and Converse. I tell you, spent maybe an hour or so rummaging through the aisles. It was soooo much fun and it felt good too. For a short time I was on a high. For a short time I felt kinda normal. The different styles and colours intrigued me, the hooded sweaters attracted me. Maybe I was just checking whether I still had that flare of good taste. To my relief, my womanhood hasnt been tainted!!! Ofcourse I did all the above with one click of a button. Sad I know, but for now its a luxury. The shopping spree galore may set HUBBY a few bucks, but hey I aint complaining....Cant wait to see his reaction when he reads the credit card bill....hehe....

As for my hair, hmm, couldnt do much unfortunately. The brown roots are starting to show, and the blonde highlights have become even blonder. The ends look split and brittle, its another 2 months and a half until I can do something about that. We do have a woman hairdresser that comes twice a week. From what I hear, she does everything, waxing, colouring, cutting, blowdrying, tweezing, threading, you name it she does it. I hate to sound fussy, but Im kinda the one hairdresser woman. Cant have too many hands messing my hair up. And if you followed me on this journey from the start, you would know how much my hair does mean to me. Its the one thing I really like taking care of. Again I dont wanna sound pompous, but its a fact. My hair is my hair. So the hair Im afraid, has to wait...

Being a woman aint easy here. Yes I do see dressed up people at work, I do see girls filling up the bathrooms fixing up their makeup, putting more of that redlipstick, or that pink blusher. Infact I just came back from blue Star and probably thats one of the few places where you have an excuse to look good. Today for instance, I saw a young woman with spaghetti strapped knee high dress and high heeled sandals. And there I was, snuggled up comfortably in my khaki hoodie and jeans with my converse. Umm no, not the pink ones. So yeah women do dress up around here, I just cant seem to do that myself. I dunno, I would feel awkward. Besides, I wouldnt be caught alive in that outfit here. Wearing a knee high dress, HERE, is a no no...All eyes would just follow your trail. Eyes that probably havent seen such a sight in a long long time.

Anyhow, Im a happy bunny for now. Cant wait for the packages to arrive and hopefully the sizes will be right. I just ordered xs on everything. If its too small, I can give it to my younger sister who is even smaller than I am. I guess the shopping spree was kinda like my eediya. When we were young, my dad would give us money in Eid, which we tend to call eediya. That trend shockingly just evaporated as we grew up and instead, the eediyas are now given to my niece and 3 nephews...So now that Im married, I strongly believe the trend should continue, but instead of having my father giving out eediyas, I think its HUBBY's turn to take that responsibility, dont you think so??? I tell you, we women are such conniving beings!!! And I JUST LOVE IT!!!

Well I better go to bed, for tomorrow is yet another day, another day of Spreadsheets, another day of work...Just Another Plain Day...
posted by neurotic_wife at 10:33 PM

13 Comments:

Some times less is more... by giving it away we are able to hold on to it.
We are safe .... We are at one with our creator..... All is well in our world.
Shopping in the real reality mall in the mind. The mall that could be.
And the way the I D troopers treated you? Realize that this is the way they treat themselves. So keep up the good work. And chin up.
It is good to hear you. And be casual because of comfort. Peace and compassion. xyz

October 28, 2006 at 3:16 AM  

I assume you ordered online. Do they deliver to Iraq? Do you pay premium delivery prices? Are people there talking at all about the James Baker report coming out after the U.S. election this November and concerned if it might bring major changes in policy?

October 28, 2006 at 10:13 AM  

Dear NIW,

I get jealous!! You bought all these things? WAW!!

You really deserve the eedyiaand Hubby should reward you...

You did a good thing not talking about the daily issues in the country, it is not worth it some times...

You take care

October 28, 2006 at 11:21 AM  

Isn't it amazing what shopping can do?

October 28, 2006 at 1:00 PM  

What I want to know is, what is it that you do when your busy? What is it that you are doing over there that is important enough to risk your life for? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely interested. What are the green zone peeps up to?

October 29, 2006 at 12:25 AM  

Wilding out every now and then is a good thing. It's what keeps people from burning out. I didn't do that last year and I burned out. I've learned my lesson. I'm glad to see you can have fun in a difficult situation. See you round!

October 29, 2006 at 1:15 AM  

NIW - You posted a bit ago about huge explosions in the greenzone. Our government says there were no casualties. But the buzz is that there is a major cover-up going on, that close to 300 military personel were killed.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=KHA20061022&articleId=3557

I thought it was interesting that everyday the media reports 4-5 military deaths. Could they be trying to "spread out" the Falcoun deaths in order to not have to admit that the "enemy" was responsible for such a huge attack, thereby adding to the growing concern that we are in over our heads? Or is the military under-reporting the number of casualties (obviously, they are for Iraqis, but for US troops as well)? Or are these rumors just BS? I ask you because you kind of witnessed it, blogged about it, and are a person in the know, being in the green zone and all.

October 29, 2006 at 5:00 AM  

Hey NIW,

I really like this post, especially the part about shopping! Ka-CHING! I hope things turn around for Iraq, and really soon. That way, you Iraqi fashionistas-in-waiting can have full access to ALL the trappings of American democracy. By that, of course, I mean, commerce and consumerism. Why, in NYC, you can walk down 33rd Street and buy a pair of gen-U-WINE 7 jeans for like, $40. No kidding. THAT is the type of democracy worth fighting for, not some stinky, sticky oil fields!!

October 29, 2006 at 5:45 AM  

I love the way you express your complex life. So concrete, so real, so alive.

Hubby, Job, interaction with jerks, seeking a place of peace and finding it ( alass) on line.

Oh, how I wish you were walking through a peaceful, common place mall, like any where in USA, or Europe.

Stroll along, no care about the possibility of a bomb interrupting your shopping. No thought of anything more stressful than which pair of jeans look best.

It is my prayer for you, and all of your folk.

One day, it is true, you and I will sit down in a lovely cafe and share light conversation, a cup of coffee or tea, and it will be right there in Bagdad ... god willing.

Oh yeah, I will wear a gas mask to protect me from your tobacco smoke ... gladly.

Bob

October 29, 2006 at 11:27 AM  

Lol.
That was mighty selfish and feminine, but you excused yourself. I liked it.

Please tell us more about the Green Zone...I mean, what is it really like? cuz we people at the RZ are ever so wondering...can u take pix?

October 29, 2006 at 2:35 PM  

what Konfused Kid is asking remind of a cartoon I watched telling about two boys, one decided to get into girl's bathroom, and the other was so eager but he was afraid or embarrased, but he was dying to know what inside

October 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM  

Hey Sam Thanx for the compliment. I try to be as informative as I can, just to let the world outside how it is being here...Funny, hmm, I hope I am, does that mean I made someone smile today???

Hi anon, thanx for your kind words. Oh and btw, I got my badge today, didnt see the loser today thank God!!!

Anon, Yup online it was...Sdly the only shopping I can do, and because its an APO address, theres no premium in shipping, which is good. The James Baker report, hmm, nope havent heard anything abt that here yet...what is it gonna be abt???

EEE wallah marshmallow, fagat roo7na min il everyday stories, I just wanted to have a break for a while...

TG, tell me abt it!!!It lifted my spirits up, especially when I imagined HUBBY's face looking at the bill... ;-)

Dahling, I promise you, I will write abt that in my next posts.

Hey Matt, are you here in the GZ???Or in Iraq???

Hmm Anon, no I dont think thats true. But I do have to say this, the helicopter droning noise I keep mentioning in my post is actually those that bring the injured to the hospital, and there are loads and loads of helicopters, or apaches or whatever they use to take the injured where Im at.The numbers are definitely hushed by the US Gov.I cant even tell you how bad some of these injured are. I saw one case when I went for my spider bute. And I tell you, the guy was bloodied all over!!!

Lol Bob, so you still remember the promise, GOOD, Im glad!!! Im telling you, Im taking your word for it. As for the umm gas mask, that comment really made me laugh. Hmmm...Cant do coffee without cigs Im afraid...And yes I do hope that Iraqis will one day be able to venture into malls similar to those Ive been to in Europe, US and other countries, here in Baghdad. One day Bob, One day...

AK, my Follow the Drabby T walls, is the answer to your question, The GZ for me is a sijin, a prison.Believe me its nothing special. Nothing...

Mixmax, I liked that analogy,loooooooooool...Good one....

October 29, 2006 at 10:23 PM  

Hope your are not caught inside the gree zone when the Americans pull out, you will be branded a collaborator and a spy. The Americans can not sustain causlties 10 per day,for long the headlines here are clear, Other ME countries are preparing for that eventuality are you?

November 6, 2006 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home