Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Alive In BAGHDAD.....

neurotic Iraqi wife

April 09, 2005

Alive In BAGHDAD.....

London, April 9 2003

Woke up in a rush, my whole body aching, have only been sleeping 3 hours a day for the past 3 weeks. I didnt want to miss the infamous information minister's comic appearance. Switched on the TV and settled on Sky News. It was the only channel that I kinda liked and believed.

There he was my favourate reporter, David Chater, wearing his protective gear. Explaining to us whats exactly happening. I crouched down on the floor to take a good look. Then I heard the words "They are here, The Americans are here". OMG I thought to myself. So fast, so quick. You can see the rest of the reporters staring in amazement. The information minister was no where to be seen. All those Baathis criminals disappeared into thin air like little mice looking for a hole in the ground to protect their dirty skins.

Then the inevitable happened, I sat watching unbelievingly as the troops made way in to "Firdos" Square. Is this really happening, I said to myself. I was all alone in that appartment, watching as Baghdad begins a new era. Then, the banging started. Bang Bang Bang. The troops were trying to crush the statue with their tanks. They kept banging and banging. I had to call my parents, I had to call my brother, Oh God I wander how my elder sister is taking this.

I call my parents, and I can hear the excitement in their voices. The disbelief, after all these years, the years they spent outside their country. The years that were only filled with bittersweet memories of their lives in Baghdad. Mom used to always say "I will die and I will never see the end of that criminal, he will outlive us all" Little did she know. I called my brother who was so pro the war, something we always argued about. He was jubilent, over the moon. He said "Im finally going to see Iraq, Im finally going back to my country" My next phonecall was the most dreaded one. It was to my elder sister who lived in Iraq more than all of us, and has these patriotic ideoligies.

Her phone rang, the images on the tv are still showing the troops trying to get the statue down. Men have climbed up. She answered, sobbing. Sobbing so hard it broke my heart. Isaid" cmon, cheer up, dont do this to yourself, this is a new era, you gotto be happy, Saddam is gone, there's no more fear, no more tyranny". The only words that came out from her "Baghdad is gone" She couldnt take it, and hung up on me. Oh well I thought to myself, she will calm down later.

I watched, my mouth wide open, my eyes in disbelief, his statue has finally been pulled down. Then, whats this??? The American flag???(no disrespect but I wouldnt have minded if both flags were up at the same time) What???Why??? My shock was turning into anger, then there it was the Iraqi flag, High and Mighty rifraffing in the air. Believe me if I tell you that at the time, my feelings were mixed. I was all for the removal of Saddam and his tyrant regime, but I somehow foresaw the chaos that would take place later. Friends and relatives called to go out and celebrate in the many "hip" London restaurants. I refused.

I couldnt go out, not because I wasnt happy, I was, but I didnt have the heart to go out and be joyful when I knew that the war wasnt over yet. When I knew that people were still suffering. I just couldnt. I watched that man holding Saddam's poster and slamming it with his slippers and swearing. I began to smile. Good for you I said. You are finally FREE. Then the looting began and I sat there still bewildered at the events of that HISTORIC Day.


Emirates, April 9 2005

I sit and watch the tv, its the same square, but this time, no statue, no American tanks. Just hundreds of people protesting. Protesting for what exactly??? Protesting for the "occupiers" to leave. Who are the occupiers??? I thought we are a Sovereign State. I thought we had elections???I thought there's the National Assembly???I thought we had a New President??? Where are the occupiers??? Who are the occupiers???

The so called occupiers are non other than those CRIMINALS, those so called "JIHADISTS". Those THIEVES, those HEAD SLAYERS. The so called occupiers are those that KILL and KIDNAP. SLAUGHTER and SHOOT. These are the occupiers. These are the ones tainting Iraq. They are the ones that should be kicked out.

The multi national forces are leaving, be it now, be it later. But they ARE gonna go. The question here is, will the CRIMINALS leave??? Will the THIEVES leave??? Will the HEAD SLAYERS leave??? That is the question. I am sick and tired of protests. I am sick and tired listening to those ignorant sheikhs calling for Jihad in mosques. A place of worship, a place for reflecting, a place for PEACE. I am sick and tired of sleazy individuals appearing on TV claiming that "we will free Iraq, we will free Palestine from those infidels" What do you know about Iraq???

Iraq, the cradle of civilization. Who are YOU, to determine its future??? Yes things arent great, sure, how can it be??? Its not magic!!! A country that was abused, mentally, physically for 3 decades by a bloodless regime, wont be able to regain its strength in 2 years with a wand!!!
Its not gonna change because of the forces there. It will change when the Iraqi people allow it to. The change will come from within. The change will come when Iraqis UNITE. Thats when the real change will happen. When there wont be these are Sunni's, Shia's,Kurds, Turkmen, Chaldeans. There will only be these are IRAQIS.....

Mistakes happened, YES. Post war tactics were weak, YES. Some of the multi national forces committed crimes, YES. Some Iraqis are committing crimes, YES. Neighbouring countries are having their "jihad" war in Iraq, YES. Ministries are still corrupt, YES. Theres no safety, YES. People are still suffering, YES. But its gonna take years of perseverence, years of hard work, years of sacrificing until WE get it RIGHT. And we WILL get it RIGHT. There's no other way....


Baghdad, April 9 2033

Wow what an image, "Firdos" square in its utter beauty. Firdos meaning paradise and sure thing it looks like one. The sun is shining, the skies are clear. Its a public holiday, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the rebirth of Baghdad. Children playing in the fountains.Their jubilant screams fill the air. Their Families gather around watching them proudly. Lovers walking hand in hand. HUBBY and I choose an empty bench. We take a seat. We are tired, we are old. HUBBY places his walking stick aside, and takes my hand in his.

There are no protesters, there are no occupiers, and most importantly there are no CRIMINALS, no HEAD SLAYERS, no "JIHADISTS". The place is pure, its pure and shining....

We sit there smiling at the beautiful view. The water from the fountains look like crystal drops in the sunlight. Tears roll down my cheeks, and I begin to sniff. HUBBY tightens his grip, as to say "I know, I know its hard to believe". But we are here, we are alive, Alive In BAGHDAD........
posted by neurotic_wife at 12:27 PM

24 Comments:

NIW,
for posts like these ..I am reminded why I check every day to see if you posted...

wow

April 9, 2005 at 1:23 PM  

Brushing back the tears (of joy)
Thank you for the rememberances

April 9, 2005 at 5:54 PM  

What a wonderful post! And what beautiful hope for the future of Iraq! If you can dream it, you can do it.

April 9, 2005 at 7:15 PM  

Honey, my nephews who helped take it from Satan say you're welcome. My niece, nephew and Brother-in-law who are actively helping hunt down the bastards now,say you're welcome. Neurotica,what you are doing is the all the thanks all of us soldiers , past and present need. Oh yeah, an a place to stay when I'm touring, hop to it, kiddo.
;-)
Dave

April 9, 2005 at 9:13 PM  

:)

April 9, 2005 at 9:49 PM  

I cant add to that post. She is a brilliant writer who mixes realism with fantasy in a surreal way. She deserves the respect of all people regardless of whether they are Iraqi or not and prey and wish her the best from life because as you can all tell she deserves nothing less. I wish my girlfriend was as smart... all she likes to talk about is astrology .... I know a lot of Iraqi women and let me tell you that not many can articulate and construct ideas and thoughts the way NIW does. Deer balich 3ala nafsich

April 10, 2005 at 12:41 AM  

Great post, happy 9th April NIW

April 10, 2005 at 1:00 AM  

Very nice....a pleasure to add you to my links.

April 10, 2005 at 1:17 AM  

It's so wonderful to read this! From your lips to G-d's ear re: 2033. And a lot of hard work on your citizens' part. Bless you all.

April 10, 2005 at 3:42 AM  

You, my friend, are getting better and better in your writing. I mean that. Its also obvious that you are getting stronger as a person....

thinker

April 10, 2005 at 12:08 PM  

That's an excellent retrospective post, NIW. You nicely changed the frame of reference and time.
I can't believe the thug/murderer Muqti is even allowed to walk the streets. What do you have to do to get arrested in Iraq these days?

So, what do you think about
the new Baghdad Mistress blogger? Think it's for real? I can't tell, but whomever it is, is pretty funny.

April 10, 2005 at 4:13 PM  

I can only say good luck to you and your people, may it happen just as you dream it.

April 10, 2005 at 4:34 PM  

2033 now thats a thought, imagine what kind of Iraq we would have by then. But think it there would be one generation coming out of iraq that hasn't seen or lived any of these disasters, how great would that be. However I see things working fast over there, if everyone else would stop using iraq as a highway to "heaven", we could have a great country 5-10 yrs from now.

April 10, 2005 at 4:35 PM  

I have no idea how I found myself reading the words you have typed but to say that I am moved would be a disapointingly huge understatement your words have brought me someplace I have been trying so hard to avoid. Knowing simply that this war was even going on was too much for me.... like seeing thru a key whole into another room... for me the idea of men and women leaving thier families to fight and possibly die was overwhelming but now having read such a beautiful testimony of someone who is really involved... makes me feel humble. I thank you for prying my eyes open..and letting me see beyond myself and for giving all of us who read this a wonderful taste of you!

April 12, 2005 at 1:09 AM  

I have no idea how I found myself reading the words you have typed but to say that I am moved would be a disapointingly huge understatement your words have brought me someplace I have been trying so hard to avoid. Knowing simply that this war was even going on was too much for me.... like seeing thru a key whole into another room... for me the idea of men and women leaving thier families to fight and possibly die was overwhelming but now having read such a beautiful testimony of someone who is really involved... makes me feel humble. I thank you for prying my eyes open..and letting me see beyond myself and for giving all of us who read this a wonderful taste of you!

April 12, 2005 at 1:09 AM  

Thank You, Thank You to all of you who left comments and sent me emails. I was overwhelmed with all the kind and great words each and everyone of you wrote.

Infact I felt so humbled by your words of encouragement, and the words "Thank you" seemed just so lame.

I just wish I can give back as much as you guys give me.

April 12, 2005 at 9:22 AM  

2033, I'll be 82 .You'll know who I am, I'll have the 22 year old g/f , if she can keep up with me
:-)

You hang in there,it is all gonna be great.

Dave

April 12, 2005 at 8:21 PM  

Very nice post NIW. Keep up the good work.

April 12, 2005 at 11:56 PM  

I hope, with all my heart, that what you envision will one day be reality.

April 13, 2005 at 5:42 AM  

Feel free to come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 11, 2005 at 9:38 PM  

I was surfing through a few blogs and came across yours and wanted to say very nice job on the content, so I have bookmarked your site for future reference.

Just in case you are interested I have a gardening help
site. It pretty much covers gardening help related stuff.

Stop by sometime :=)

October 12, 2005 at 4:52 AM  

Nice site i came here searching for make money online business and was looking for other people who are interested in make money online business
You might be interested in make money online business

October 14, 2005 at 9:35 PM  

It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

October 19, 2005 at 9:26 AM  

Welcome to my home income portal. If you're seeking Internet Mall. You're in the right place. Go to http://nehoma.com/jbthmy402/soft.htm to find out more about this Internet Mall.

February 4, 2006 at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home