Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: A Pinch Of Salt.....

neurotic Iraqi wife

March 23, 2005

A Pinch Of Salt.....

Havent posted cuz havent been feeling well. And no, I havent fallen into the dreaded depression. I guess its that time of month that makes me feel so groggy,and UGHHHHH.....

Im sure most of you are just wandering how did the confrontation go with my family.Well, here goes....

It was last Friday that I decided to break the news to my father, and my father alone, since I knew had I just mentioned the word Baghdad to my mom, she would have probably shrieked. Apart from that Dad and I, usually share secrets together, something we used to do since I was a small kid. I chose the moment were he was sitting quietly reading the newspaper in the living room, and said:

ME: Umm Dad, there's something I need to tell you.
(No reaction except for the words "aha"
ME gritting my teeth: You know how I always wanted to go to Baghdad, and help the people?
(Still No reaction and the page of the newspaper was turned, I barely can see his face)
ME continuing as if talkingto myself loudly: Well Dad, and you know very well that Ihave been trying real hard to find a job there.
(Hmm still no darn bloody reaction)
ME clearing my voice and made it a hint louder: I GOT A JOB IN BAGHDAD, THE LADY CALLED ME YESTERDAY
(immediately the newspaper was folded and put down on the table and there they were dad's blue eyes peering at me through his glasses)I guess Ihad his full undivided attention.

DAD: What?Can you repeat what you just said
ME: dad, I got a job in Baghdad in finance and umm, am just waiting for the written offer
DAD: with who? and how long for?
ME: With HUBBY's company and I still dont have any details.
DAD: Well, once you get the offer we can discuss it further...(And just like that, he picked the newspaper and begain to read where he left off)

(Now, I just sat there staring at my father with my mouth fully agape. I couldnt believe his cool mannerism. Is that it????I thought to myself, but I guess I said it out loudly cuz then dad said "we will talk once you know more, and yes that is it:

Hmmm, I couldnt believe my luck. Then my brother passed by and decided to tell him the news, since I knew my brother was known to be more on the strict side, and was always overprotective over me. After telling brother the whole shebang, he just said "Good luck to you, try it out and see, its an experience for you, though I dont advice you to do it, but go along and check it out for yourself"

Ok, I wasnt really sure if they understood what I just said, but I repeated myself a few more times incase they missed something there and I made sure to tell them that this is no joke, this is real. Brother wished me luck, Dad nodded and said we will see. I sat there dumbfounded, for I had prepared a long lecture had anyone opposed, sadly or actually fortunately I didnt need to use what I had prepared......

A few days back, out of the blue, my mom was talking about the situation in Iraq and how whoever goes back now has lost their minds. I jumped in, and decided to take the plunge by telling her my secret."Mom, am going to Baghdad, Igot a job" Mom smiled and said" Good luck to you, and if you ever get kidnapped, dont presume we have the money to pay your ransom". Umm Mom, am serious, am going soon.Mom replied " and am serious too, let your HUBBY pay for the ransom" And off she went.... OMG, is that all??? I really couldnt believe myself. Infact I couldnt believe that they took it with a pinch of salt.....

As I relayed the conversations I had back to HUBBY, I could feel his smile shine through my mobile, dunno if its a smile of relief, or was it one of those cheeky smiles. Then he said "maybe they are not saying NO cuz they know you are crazy, and that you will flip" Hmm,thanx for being so reassuring HUBBY.... But that was that. No one uttered a word,and unfortunately I havent heard anything back from the HR person back in Baghdad. She said the offer will be emailed to me, but that was almost 5 days ago, so now I just have to sit and wait.

But it got me thinking, how come my parents were so relaxed about this whole thing. Maybe what HUBBY said was true, maybe they didnt want to say NO, cuz they know I would have made a scene and reacted in a bad way. Yeah yeah I know, I shouldnt be like that but my emotions seem to always jump before my teeny weeny brain does "sigh".... I remind myself of that kid in the ad where he grabs a bags of crisps and puts it in the trolley. The father then picks the bag and puts it back in the stall. The kid grabs the bag again and throws it angrily in the trolley, the father looks crossly at the kid, says NO and puts the bag back in its place. The kid then screams and screams then the screams turn into screaches and the kid decides to roll on the floor. Everyone just start giving the dad a look of disgust, when he finally decides to put the darn bag in the trolley and at the end of the ad a huge caption that says "USE CONDOMS". I absolutely love that ad, I find it sooooooooo cute(watched it while on vacation in amsterdam).

Oh well blabbed as usual, so now am just waiting....By the way, I wanna thank all of you who commented and suggested all those tips on how to approach the situation. I really appreciate it and am very grateful to all of you especially Ahmad ......Thank You for your words of support...

Hope once I get the offer, the situation will continue to be taken with A Pinch Of Salt........
posted by neurotic_wife at 5:16 PM

11 Comments:

Parents are funny aren't they, Neurotica?

Love, Tilli

March 23, 2005 at 9:36 PM  

Good luck to you, you will be fine inshallah..... I speak to my female cousin and she is the most anti american person in my family who lives in baghdad and she even admits things are getting much better its like moving to brooklyn... be careful who u are with where u are and ull be fine....u should have gotten an e-mail from a certain female where we live highlighting all the positives in Iraq right now and therefore go there and make sure you tell those Islamic clerics in 169 ur not into headscarves and u dont want schools segregated ;)

and if things get bad goto Kurdistan for a holiday......:)
Deer balich 3ala nafsich and inshallah itshoofeen khair

March 23, 2005 at 10:39 PM  

I agree with your brother, and your mother.

I have a guess, why they took it so easy.

And do the people know you blog?

March 24, 2005 at 12:33 AM  

NIW,

Your dad is so cool. He reminded me of my dad. My reaction would've been like your mom's reaction though :-)

I think part of the cool "yes" is because you'll be with your hubby. So, they have less to worry about. They know he'll protect you with his life.

Keep up updated.

March 25, 2005 at 1:52 AM  

Tell us your parents' reaction when you reveal to them you tried dope :O

March 26, 2005 at 2:16 AM  

After reading your posts and comments you made on other blogspots, I have concluded that your name is in error. You are a very intelligent and caring person.

Thank you for your posts. My appreciation for your comments on Sarmad's pages too.

Don't stop posting. We love your comments.

March 27, 2005 at 3:29 AM  

Dear NW:)
i wish you bet luck, itha haya ilsha`3la beeha kher ilich inshalla t9eer.
and dont forget, when you come to baghdad, that you have a younger brother here! o ilbet betiich o 2ay shee ti7tajeeh bas 2omri!
:))
oh and, i think we all are cocnerned, if yo and hubby lived together, you wouldnt stop blogging would you?
:)
me*

March 27, 2005 at 1:22 PM  

Hi- Just wanted to say that as one 'newly wed' to another, the distance thing is a killer. I've been married a year now and during our first few months we were also living far apart- actually thousands of miles. But once we finaly did get to live together it was bliss. I hope you make it to Baghdad and that good fortune awaits you there.

March 28, 2005 at 5:46 AM  

Holy Crap! I'm speechless...

March 28, 2005 at 8:00 AM  

Thanx Ahmad again for your nice words...I enjoy your blog alot, where have u been?U havent posted in a few days....

Tilli I tell you, that was pretty shortlived :-(

Sami, so you havent boycotted me after voting for your most hated list,lol. I havent received an email though, but I do know from HUBBY that somehow things are abit calmer now. Still there are shootings, kidnappings and what have you, but situation less stressful. Im just so pissed off that the NA havent agreed on a couple of issues YET....

Stephie,lol, dont worry im a tough cookie, am gonna drive HUBBY wild IF I do end up going...

Madtom, no I sure do hope not about them knowing that I blog.

Brian I did have their contact details but thought I should stay put until I hear from them first...Didnt wanna seem pushy, though in such a situation "pushy" is an understatement...

Fayrouz, yeah, dads are the coolest, well for me anyways.When we know there's something that would upset mom, we would just share it between the 2 of us and wink at each other if mom finds out from other sources,lol....

7aider,if I ever wanna get a divorce(which is not in a million years)then maybe I would tell my parents about the dope experience, for now Id rather keep my HUBBY...

Anon, Thanx for your kind words,but if you get to know the "real" me you will know what I mean by "Neurotic"Lol....I think HUBBY will be a perfect candidate to explain to you....

Hey Khalid,Long time,If I do end up being with HUBBY I will continue to blog about life with him...and how he will end up in the 3a9fooria,lol..

Umhakima,keep my head down???You must be kidding,Im gonna go and spread neurosis all over the city,hehe...

Anon, HUBBY has been giving me long lectures about what to do and what to say if we end up working together. He thinks im obedient, AS IF....I cant wait to be with him,even though its not the "ideal" place to be in at the moment,But Im a happy Bunny...

monicar,so was I, but not anymore :-(

March 30, 2005 at 3:11 PM  

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 10 because you have done a good job. Great Job,

Free Access To More Information Aboutbusiness careers

October 12, 2005 at 3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home