Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: My Will To Survive......

neurotic Iraqi wife

April 06, 2005

My Will To Survive......

Its been pretty hectic the last week. Not hectic in the sense that Ive got many things to do, No,hectic in a way that my mind has been working overtime. As well as my emotions were kind of having a party of their own. And by the way, it wasnt a happy party, it was more like a morbid one.

I decided to go ahead and sign the papers regardless what HUBBY told me. The more I delay things the more edgy I become. I watched as those papers were fed into the fax machine and were gone one by one.This is it, my excitement cannot be described. After a few days, I was bombarded with a "to do" list. Check ups, immunisations, shots, tests.

I have been poked, injected, tested, X-rayed, and now Im kinda feeling sick. All those immunisations are having an effect on me. With all that Im actually proud of myself. Im known to faint just looking at a needle. I have a serious phobia from injections, especially when they take blood from me. I usually have the nurse poke me a couple of times until she finds what she's looking for. And that just kills me. They all say "you have no meat on you, and your veins are very hard to find" Yuck....

So by going alone, yesterday, It was more of a challenge. In normal times I would ask a friend to accompany me, but this time, I decided to take the plunge, just me, myself and I. The doctors were pretty cool. When they ask why do you need all this? I smile proudly and say "Am going to Iraq". They just sit and stare at me, unbelievingly. Their expressions, priceless, and I laugh to myself. Then they go on giving me lectures, and the check ups turn into one political debate. Whats more funny, is the fact that I completely forgot to mention that Ive got my HUBBY there,Lol.

I could have avoided most of these immunisations had I gotten my file from my GP in London. When I called up the clinic in London to ask whether I can have my papers sent to me, I had the lady reply "Oh gosh, we are a private clinic now, all your files have been trashed" Hmm, how very nice of them. I was on the National Health Service, but that doesnt mean they have the right to bin my health history. Oh well, cant go bin fishing in London now can I?

So basically, Im almost done with the medical side of things, except now am waiting for the TB results, which usually is revealed after 72 hours. I was told not to wash my arm for 3 days!!!! I guess am gonna have such a fun time in the shower. One thing that kinda confused me is the HIV test. That test was optional, I had thought HIV testing was essential. But no it wasnt required. I did it in anycase, I might as well, I had such incredible courage yesterday which I doubt would be repeated anytime soon in the future.

I havent been told when will I be travelling to DC yet. I presume it should be sometime next week or the week after. One thing though that really upset me, was the fact that HUBBY wants to go on his R&R despite the fact that Ill be going to Baghdad. Which was actually booked to celebrate our anniversary. I couldnt believe my ears. I was so upset, that I started crying on the phone. All the feelings of elation just evaporated. I couldnt believe how selfish he can be.

It felt like, the more I try to get closer to him, the more he slips away from me. (I havent vented for so long, so please allow me these couple of minutes to cry on your shoulders). I mean, fine, he wants to have a break, I really understand that, but to have a break while I'll be on my way to Baghdad??? It doesnt make sense. After crying my eyes out, and after giving him a piece of my mind, HUBBY starts laughing, and says"Oh sweety am teasing you, cmon QTpie, I wont leave you, Im just joking around". I told him that he chose the wrong moment to tease cuz my emotions havent been intact lately. I think he mentioned his R&R to test the waters. And believe you me, the waters were pretty huge waves banging at him..... Serves him right.....

My mother seems to have calmed down. The only thing she managed to say when she saw the vast number of band aids on my arms is "You're crazy, dont go". I guess she was pretty impressed to know that I had gone all by myself to do the tests and immunisations, and I presume that was when it hit her that Im pretty serious about this.

I still cant believe am going to see my country in less than a few weeks after all these years of yearning. Its weird when I think about it. Rose of Diary from Baghdad is leaving Iraq coming here to the Emirates, my cousin has taken his family out as well, and I know many others are leaving.

I guess for them its not a matter of patriotism anymore, cuz I know they all are patriotic but now its more of a survival game. They have responsibilities, they have helpless children depending on them. The risk of staying is far more destructive than rewarding. And I totally understand what they must be going through. It aint easy leaving one's house, one's memories, one's loved ones, but it has to be done. As for me, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain its just me and My Will To Survive.....
posted by neurotic_wife at 12:20 PM

8 Comments:

NIW...

Congrats...I was shocked to read you are comiung to DC !!!...Would like to give a copy of my book when you travel through..perhaps for your trip abroad...you can see excerpts on my website..and if you woudl like ...let me know...info is on the site...

www.redefiningeden.com

Good luck!!!

April 6, 2005 at 12:56 PM  

Kiddo, it is working in ways you'd never have imagined. Look at you, stronger than you'd ever given yourself thought to being. Independent, smarter and more determined. Keep me advised, okay? Let me know when you'll be in DC and I'll give you a toll free number to say hello on. You have my e-mail so use it:- )
Of course, Hubby's practical joke was not all that funny, forgive him, we are just men, okay?

Keep us posted, Neurotica, okay?

April 6, 2005 at 8:43 PM  

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. I read your post and I am sad, I am happy for you bas ur leaving us for something that will make u happy inshallah. I really hope it all works out for u cause u really deserve the best and the same goes for ur family and husband. Inshallah bas itshoofoon khair oo before you go I want to have one cigratte together so I can give you a farewell token to remeber the younger Iraqis that you inspired to blog and write with. Don't worry its not the Kurdish flag ;)

April 7, 2005 at 1:15 AM  

Hi NIW, thanks for commenting!

I responded. Please check it out.

There's something special I'd like you to take part. Will email you soon!

;)

April 7, 2005 at 11:18 AM  

NIW

Thanks for the ever so kind words left in my guest book. Was very kind of you. I hope I can give a copy before you leave.

Good luck

Chris

April 7, 2005 at 1:30 PM  

Dear Chris,it was a great pleasure for me to visit your site www.redefiningeden.com. I recommend everyone to visit it and read some of your amazing work. Thanx for telling me about it.I loved it..Ill email you soon.

Dave my virtual guardian, you have always been there for me and your words are always so encouraging. Ill definitely give you a call once I get to DC, and btw no need for the toll free number, Im sure Ill have plenty of spare change ;-)

Lol Sami, why wouldnt I like the Kurdish flag???On the contrary I would love to have one.And besides it aint gonna be farewell,unless I die that is...

Stephie,unfortunately I wont be taking my laptop with me :-( I sure do hope that I'll have access to the net and will be able to carry on blogging from Baghdad.

Lim,Lim,Lim, your post abt the sunglasses inspired me so much that Im gonna go shopping and buy those cute pink ones, yaaaaaaaaay ;-) I will make sure to take a photo with them on while Im in the green zone, how abt that???

April 7, 2005 at 2:43 PM  

Wow - congratulations once again. Have you ever been to the U.S?

I will be looking forward to reading your coming posts.

Take care now.

April 8, 2005 at 7:34 AM  

Still perusing the archives...

You're coming to America, and wondering if you'll be able to find a computer to blog from?

Do you know the English word incontinent? 'Cuz I've just laughed myself to the edge of it...

I'm not sure if my countrymen (and women) would have the courage and the resolve that the Iraqis have shown in these past two years, but we do have lots and lots of computers. Yes, indeedy. And cel phones. I bet you could blog from an American cel phone. Sad, isn't it?

April 17, 2005 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home