Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Trumpets of the Silenced Voices...

neurotic Iraqi wife

May 18, 2008

Trumpets of the Silenced Voices...

If I didn’t see the photos in my own eyes and if I hadn’t spoken to my sister about it, I would have never ever believed the atrocious conditions the Iraqi refugees are living in, in Syria. Even animals are treated better. It boiled my blood to the point where my eyes watered as I continued clicking the mouse. An elderly man on a wheel chair, looking into his eyes, all you see is sadness. Sadness and despair. A child, a malnutritioned child staring right through the lense. Beautiful honey green eyes hopeless. Just hopeless. I would have asked to publish the images, but I don’t want to endanger anyone.

A group of three Iraqis living in the Emirates decided to help with
Naseer Shamma’s campaign. It was a kinda of a continuation to his January one. They gathered money, appliances from fridges to fans to ovens and food vouchers for the refugees in Syria. The Syrian government is against any individual going there to help out. It has to be done through the UN or the Red Crescent. You cant just go and give cash out. It doesn’t work out this way. So when the three people went there, they had to do it through a high connection in the Syrian government. And the only reason the man helped out was because the appliances were bought from his company. Tells you a lot doesn’t it?

The donations that were gathered were only enough for 500 people. The three Iraqis tried for more. Until they managed to accumulate an amount that would be enough for 1500. They said they found great difficulty from people giving money. People weren’t ready to help. It took one Emarati Sheikha to donate the majority of the money. I spoke to one of those three that went on the mission and she described to me what they went through and how they were almost gonna get killed!!!

The mission had everything ready and organized. All the food vouchers had the names of those 1500 Iraqis. When they first entered the building, people started pushing and shoving. There were no lines, there was no discipline. The lady said that at the start, things were going ok. They managed to organize everything. Once those 1500 received their vouchers and day one was over, they immediately went out and started calling everyone else they knew to come to the venue. That’s when trouble started.

By the second day, the mission had nothing to give away. They gave everything they had. They gave out all the appliances, all the vouchers, all the money. But people kept barging in. Not only barging, but they started calling the three people names, swearing at them, throwing at them stuff. Cursing them for not helping. The lady said, a woman started screaming and crying. My daughter is sick, my daughter is dying. She needs help. We need money. Give us money. But the mission couldn’t do much. They had nothing more to give.

By mid afternoon, the three needed to leave. Mission is over. But the whole building was surrounded by angry refugees. One of the workers who worked at the building got punched in the face. Another was pulled by his collar. It was chaos. The three were trapped among angry protesters. That’s when the Syrian govt had to intervene with their security. Police cars came around and surrounded the area. Men with weapons tried to calm the situation at first but it didn’t work. The three people couldn’t even get out of the door without being pulled and pushed at.

Shots were fired in the air to disperse the angry crowd. One by one, the three were carried and thrown in the car. I just sat listening in shock at the lady’s story. I think she too was in shock as she recounted the events. She said people were calling them criminals. Cursing them. Even some started praying to god not to make them succeed in life. She said they couldn’t do more. Not then anyways. They ran out of everything they could give away. It’s a lesson, she said. A lesson and an eye opener. An eye opener to do more.

It changes the way you look at life she said. Its MY mission now to do everything I can to help those people, she continued. The stories of some of the refugees who spoke to them were beyond belief. The living conditions were worse than living in a haystack. I stopped clicking the mouse. I didn’t wanna see more. I had seen enough already. What was supposed to be a relaxing visit to my sister, turned out to be a heart wrenching one. Heart wrenching and depressing.

Strange thing is, here I am in the middle of it all. I tried to give some cash to a few of my coworkers awhile back to give to the needy but they refused. I said fine, give it to the Mosques, the minute I said the word mosque their response was even harsher. They’re too afraid to give out cash. It will just put their lives at risk, so I stopped asking.

The best thing I usually end up doing every trip to the Emirates is donate through the Red Crescent. You get to choose whatever amount you want to donate and for what category. You can never go wrong there. By doing that, it clears my mind for a little while. Just a little while. I always ask for Iraq. I remember one time, I went to one of their stalls in the mall and said I wanna donate please. He immediately handed out a voucher for Palestine. I shook my head. No, Im here for Iraq please. I felt some kind of discontent from him. I gathered he was Palestinian. Then I asked for more for Iraq, I had a substantial amount that I wanted to help with. You could see from the contortions of his face, he was getting uncomfortable. But I didn’t care. I may sound cruel, but my country is bleeding to death, and for me MY country is a priority for now.

Although most of the time my blog is intended to be personal regarding my marriage and my own situation, a lot of the times I try to make the world aware of whats going on around me. The majority of the Iraqi bloggers do just that. They are the trumpets of the Silenced Voices. I know that I don’t get as many responses as I would like to have. I know that many people are just sick and tired of hearing us whine and complain. Im not after your pity or sympathy, nor your oooooohs and aaaaaaahs. All I want is for you to read our stories and understand where we are coming from.

Maybe next time you’re browsing the net, search for ways that you can help out with too. Sometimes even the little stuff can go a long way. But just remember, us bloggers have no hidden agenda, have nothing to gain. We are just Trumpets. Trumpets of the Silenced Voices…


It was just brought to my attention the sad and devastating news of the killing of a fellow Iraqi blogger, BlogIraq!!!He was one of the very important Trumpets. And now a Trumpet has been silenced forever...
posted by neurotic_wife at 11:45 AM

10 Comments:

"...a lot of the times I try to make the world aware of whats going on around me...."
I heard one time of someone who said; That humanity watches life on a wall of shadows, lit by a fire of reality behind them. I come here to glance over my shoulder for a look at the fire. If I wanted to continue too look at the wall of shadows, I would turn on my T.V.. We hear you. Gods speed neurotic.

May 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

Hello, Neurotica --
I've been following your blog for some time now and have never left a comment. For so long I've felt like there's nothing I could do or say or concieve of that would make any difference.
Finally, it occurred that I can share your blog and the blogs of others such as yourself with my world by email as well as by printing up small cards with your blog address as well as several others to hand out when conversations come up about the war in Iraq.
More often than not I get call backs and emails saying thank you in response.
Wishing you well always --
Chris

May 18, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Another site I visit is:
www.BaghdadBureau.blogs.nytimes.com
It's a collection of entries from many different blogs regarding Iraq.

Today, This was posted on their front page --
Taking Questions
Your Questions for Iraqi Women
Taking Questions. We'll take a video camera and a translator out on the streets of Baghdad to ask Iraqi women your questions.

I'm betting that you and your friends know which questions would give the best answers.

In Love and Light --
Chris

May 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

Tis very sad. My husband is from Iraq and his family now lives in Syria. They are working with the IOM hoping to be exported to the US as refugees. It seems to be a long process and I pray that soon it will happen.

May 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM  

Neurotica,

Much like democracy, helping others seems overwhelming for just one person. Too many times, I hear, "Why vote. My vote doesn't count anyway." Just like, "What can I do to help people in a foreign land? I'm just one person." In regards to your previous response on democracy, I don't think it exists in a true form. Yes, we have representation in government, but half the time, it's twisted. True democracy simply cannot work. Can you imagine every single person going to the white house or Capitol Hill to voice their opinions? It would be crazy. And the electoral college by which our president is selected is flawed as well. Many times, discussion has come about regarding getting rid of it and going solely by popular vote, but because that is dangerous as well, we have what we have.

Anyway, if all goes as planned, I may be over there some time next fall (09). I graduate this December, take my board exams, then sign up for the Air Force Reserves. I know that many of our military medical units help many citizens of Iraq. Maybe I'll run into you if you're still there :) Or maybe when I'm on R&R in AD?

So sorry to hear about your blogger friend.

Always,
Melanie

May 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM  

HELLO LUV NEUROTICA;IT IS A SAD FACT OF LIFE THAT;! IN THE HIGHEST OF ACCELADES & PUREST; SELFLESS ACT ;HELP THINEFELLOW HUMAN BEING & COUNTRYMEN ;SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE; RUN FOR YOUR LIFE FROM THOSE VERY PEOPLE; YOU´RE TRYING TO HELP??!!& SADDER STILL;LOSING ONE OF YOUR COMRADES IN BLOGS!!BUT IN ALL HONESTY ;ALL SAID & DONE ;THE MISERY ;DREARY & TRAGIC PREVAILING CONDOTIONS COULD ALL BE ADDRESSED ?!IF ONLY 90% BY REMOVING THE AXIS OFEVIL FROM THE REGION ;?SORRY BUT IT COMES BACK TO THAT SAD FACT .IF THE ALLIED FORCES SPEARHEADED BY THE AMERICAN FORCES COME ROUND TO TACKLING THE EVIL HEAD ON & ERADICATING THAT SCOURGE OF THE REGION ;THEN A BLOG SUCH AS THE ONE WE ARE COMMENTING ON ;SHAN´T BE A TOPIC ANYMORE ;AS MOST PEOPLE SHALL HAVE RETURNED FROM SYRIA TO REBUILD THEIR LIVES AT HOME IN IRAQ!SO WE GO ROUND THE MERRYGOROUND OF MISERY ONLY TO COME BACK TO THE MAIN CAUSE OF ALL THAT HAVOC & EVIL IN THE REGION;?ELIMINATE IT & YOU SHALL BE ON YOUR WAY TO A BETTER FUTURE.ALL THE VERY BEST OF GREETINGS & KINDEST OF REGARDS LUV;WWW.bfbs.com AS ALWAYS OLAFF

May 19, 2008 at 3:43 AM  

Sim Salla bim Crisis Prevention... Oh no Johnny, pre-pubescent magical effects...
I hate to joke, it's just ridicule is not assembled indifference.

I admit Johnny Quest is a really old cartoon. Crisis is a really old and Predicable sequence of events. I am making an educated guess, it's who you know in your country that explains the fate of individuals in your country? Those people reaching out for US Aid are at the dregs permeable social membrane. A subordinate collective with an insertion point that sets the evolutionary pace for international connectivity. The Health Care deemed necessary is more or less Government issue...as is everything else at the start. Its like they are dropping off the most fucked up toys imaginable. Question "What the fuck are the lost self destructing people continuing?".

I feel Rich.

I know, they're playing with balls of yarn.
No, I'm being Sarcastic.
Is "waste not want not" a good slogan?
Holy shit Tron made it.
Does Tron have a Birthday?
Whoops, my bad lady.

May 19, 2008 at 6:36 AM  

Whitehawk but doesnt the fire get too suffocating at times??? Never the less, youre always responding tp my posts and comments and I truly appreciate it!


Oh wow Chris!!! I never realized. Thank you, thank you for your encouragement. At times I kinda get desperate, desperate and thirsty for such words...You just quenched it :)

ID, I know. The pictures I saw were heartbreaking. Why isnt anyone doing anything abt it???Why are ppl silent???

Hey Melanie, Yes, Ahmed, Blog Iraq was an amazing blogger. Always impressed me. He used to leave comments on my blog from time to time...I cant imagine what his family are going through. Wow, fall of 09!!!I definitely wont be here...OMG I will kill myself if I still am...So Id rather say, see you in AD then :)

Olaff, how can they be removed???

May 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM  

NEUROTICA LUV;IT MAY COME TO WHATBUSH SAID MANY ATIME ??!!NOTHING IS RULED IN OR OUT INCLUDING THE ALLIED NATO FORCES ACTUALLY USING FORCE??! BUT THAT SHALL BE LEFT TO BUSH´S NEXT SUCCESSOR .THE QUESTION IS SIMPLE ?IS THE FREE LIBERAL GLOBE NATO & OUR ALLIES READY TO ACCEPT EVIL CREEPING IN ON THE REGION THAT MEANS A GREAT DEAL TO ALL OF US & HUMANITY IN GENERAL??AS THE SAYING GOES GIVE AN INCH & THEY´LL TAKE A MILE & REACH LONG ISLAND & THE REST OF THE GLOBE??!!SO DEFLECTING & ERADICATING THE EVIL RIGHT HERE & NOW IS THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE IRAQ & THE REGION & THE GLOBE . SO IT MAYBE OUR ALLIED NATO FORCES MAY NEED TO STEP UP & REMOVE THEM!ALL THE VERY BEST OF GREETINGS & KINDEST OF REGARDS WWW.bfbs.com CHEERS FROM OLAFF

May 21, 2008 at 2:53 AM  

No it does not get too suffocating at times, I'm not the one being suffocated.

May 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home