Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Neurotica's Bens Cookies...

neurotic Iraqi wife

May 21, 2008

Neurotica's Bens Cookies...

Just the other day I was craving for something sweet. I rummaged through my drawers couldn’t find anything. Then I remembered. We had received an email about 10 days ago informing us of a doughnuts place (Dojo's)that opened up here in the GZ. I searched for the email and read the tiny menu they had. Yummm, doughnuts seemed like a great idea especially when you can have it delivered right to your door for an extra $5. Coincidently I had read an article on yahoo about the place which encouraged me even more. Well done to the owners!!! A great idea, especially here.

I called my coworker and asked him if he wanted to try them out as well. Answer was YES OFCOURSE. He called them, made an order of 2 dozen, a dozen is not 12 pieces but 13 and it costs $15 a box. Delivery time took about 20 mins from the time of the call, which isnt bad. A white van pulled up outside our compound and an American got out holding our boxes of doughnuts.


We literally scrammed back into the office so we can try them out. Verdict: they were absolutely scrumptious!!! Not as fresh as I would like them to be, I guess because we ordered them late afternoon. But hey beggars cant be choosers. Never the less, they were 100% better than the plasticy inedible stuff we have in our dfac.

So for yesterdays morning meeting, I suggested to order some of those doughnuts. Would be a nice compliment to go with our bland coffee and our boring meeting. This time they were even better and FRESH. I kinda am getting hooked and that’s NOT a good idea. What is the expression? A second on your lips, a lifetime on your hips? But one consolation, I haven’t been eating much lately so I guess I can do with the extra sugar for now. Besides, it’s a tiny reminder of home.

I don’t get hooked that easily on food because Im a very fussy eater, hence the underweight issue. But when I do, OMG. Id be willing to travel three hours by train just to get a particular thing. That happened to me in London. When I was much younger, my parents would send my sister and I to summer camp in Bath. There, I got introduced to the love of my life, the greatest Bens Cookies!!!Unfortunately they only had them in Bath which is three hours away from London. As the years passed, during which Id travel to London for short breaks, I would board the train and go to Bath, just to have those cookies. It was kinda like a secret pilgrimage I would do every year.

It was only a few years ago that Ben’s cookies got a stall in High Street Kensington tube station. The whole station usually smells of freshly baked soft cookies (if you ever visit London go there, have a cookie and remember me). Yummmm. So my three hour secret pilgrimage stopped, but the cookie devouring definitely didn’t. After having the doughnuts, I remembered the cookies and decided to google it. Lo and behold, they have their own website now!!! I shrieked with excitement. PLUS you can order online, BUT unfortunately they don’t ship to an APO address. My coworker though supplied me with an address he registered with in the States that can have these delivered to us. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY…


As trivial as it sounds but I really cant wait to bite into my triple chocolate Bens Cookie and have all the chocolate oozing down my chin…Yum Yum…Hmmm, maybe Ill start a business just like DoJo’s…What do you think? And probably call it Neurotica’s Bens Cookies…
posted by neurotic_wife at 5:49 PM

8 Comments:

Thanks, now I'm drooling all over myself. That picture looks yummy. I feel the same way about Cold Stone Creamery. The nearest one is an hour away. I try to go at least once a month, if not more. All I can say is amaretto flavored ice cream, with caramel and toasted almonds. MMMMMMMMM! Or yellow cake batter flavor. Ever lick the bowl when making a yellow cake? Tastes just like it. Ok, I better stop.

Always,
Melanie

May 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM  

Very interesting.

May 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

Oh Boy!

May 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

HELLO LUV;I ONCE FOUND EMPLOYMENT IN JUST SUCH COOKIE BAKERY IN BOND STREET IN THE 80s ;I´VE BEEN TO KEN HIGH ST TUBE STATION & SMELLED THE FRESH COOKIE BAKED ALL SORTS CHOCOLATE ;BANNANA;STRAWBERRY;CHERRY;FUDGE CARAMEL; RAISENS PEACHES PINEAPPLE & LIQUER FILLED FLAVOUR ASSORTMENT;BAKED IN RICH KERRYGOLD´S IRISH BUTTER ;HHHMMMM DELICIOUS NEEDLESS TO SAY I GAINED?? GAINED A STONE OR TWO OR A TON SIMILAR TO A PREVIOUS OCCASION WHEN I WORKED IN RESTAURANT CUM BAR WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNEAPOLIS MINN. CAMPUS AREA??!!:)IT TOOK ME AGES TO SHED THE FAT :( FUNNY I HAVE TO DO MUCH THE SAME PRESENTLY BUT THAT IS DUE TO GULPING & BEING A GLUTTON FOR ICECREAM 2,5ltr. A TIME TALK OF GULPING A GALLON??!!CAN´T BE GOOD SURELY ;EATING AN ICE CREAM & OR A CONTAINER IS ONE THING ??!!BUT 2.5 ltrs. A BIT MUCH PLUS THE DIJESTIVE SYSTEM MUST SCREAM OUT EACH TIME IT HAS TO PUT UP TO SUCH A LOAD:(???!!!I JUST LOVE PUDDINGS SWEETS SCONES ;A BIT OF CRUMPET;FUDGE DOUBLE DEVON-SOMMERSET-CREAM WITH RAISENS &ALCOHOL LIQUER FILLING $ OH SAINSBURY´S CHOC ICE :)SMARTIES:YORKIE ROWNTREE MCINTOSH & AEROS CHOC BAR TALK ABOUT SCOFFING THE LOT :)FORGET FORTNUM & MASON´S JUST GIVE ME SAINSBURY´S SAFEWAYS OR TESCOES??!!!HHHMMM:)YOU COULD SAY THAT THERE MAY JUST BE A HINT OF A SWEET TOOTH LURKING THERE AMONGST THOSE TASTE BUDS???!!STARTING A BAKERY BUSINESS IS A VERY GOOD IDEA INCLUDING AN ICE CREAM PARLOUR ALONGSIDE;MAYBE IN ABU-DHABI OR DUBAI;OR EVEN DOHA???OMAN!!!JEDDAH ?RIYATHD!!A GOOD INVESTMENT IN A FUN BUSINESS OCCUPATION AFTER ACCUMULATING A BIT OF A CAPITAL HAVING SLAVED ONE´S ARSE OFF FOR A FEW YEARS??!!ALL THE VERY BEST OF MERRY SWEETS PUDDING GREETINGS & KINDEST OF REGARDS WWWW.bfbs.com CHEERS OLAFF:)

May 22, 2008 at 4:56 AM  

If you ever make it to Canada, check out Tim Hortons, it is where we all live in the morning. Awesome Donuts
http://www.timhortons.com/en/index.html

May 22, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

I'm more into salty than sweet, and ya the smell of donuts kinda makes me sick,

BUT

I can't get enough of the English accent. I just realized that you grew up in London: you have an English accent, don't you? That's bloody wicked!

May 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Haha, whitehawk. I've been to Canada many a times, those Tim Hortons are EVERYWHERE. It's like the national restaurant or something. They make some pretty decent coffee, too.

May 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

USA here! This is just too amazing. We live with Iraqi new that would curl ones hair. Please keep coming back.

b

May 25, 2008 at 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home