Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: The Hollow Green Dream...

neurotic Iraqi wife

May 20, 2008

The Hollow Green Dream...

And so Imagine Tasha (African American) went to Russia and came back as Tatiana (bleached white). Yup that’s exactly what happened but it wasn’t an African American nor was it Russia, it was infact an Iraqi National (and no, no bleach involved), one of the many who went to the States via the special immigration visa program. She came back the other day, a green card holder, refusing to speak Iraqi (Her mother tongue, mind you) and changed her name into some Western name (refusing profusely for people to call her by the original name everyone knew her by). UGHHHHHHHHHHH. She not only refuses but gives them a mouth full if the old name slips from their mouth by accident.

I may have lived almost all my life outside this country, but Im always, ALWAYS proud to be an Iraqi. I display it in every way possible not caring what others might think. I didn’t go to the UK and came back as Shirley!!! God, I cant even imagine that…Nor did I go to the UK and left with amnesia regarding my language!!! OMG. I hate, no, no hate is a light word. I LOATHE, I LOATHE anyone who disassociates themselves from their origin. I loathe anyone who decides to push that delete button and copy and paste a new persona. What a shame!

F, used to work here for a while. I used to see her around and talk to her from time to time. Until one day, she came into work, asked to be transferred to Jordan because she was being threatened by some gang. Everyone who worked with her, knew she kinda bullshits a lot to get her own way, or so I was told by very close coworkers of hers. Her ex-management refused to transfer her to Amman, but in the end they succumbed to her wishes due to a certain coworker who was kinda besotted with F and he inturn threatened to quit if F didn’t have her way.

When I found out she was joining the group I knew trouble will be brewing. So far we don’t interact that much, thank god, although she sits next to me, I cant get myself to talk to her. I cringe every time Im forced to communicate especially when I ask her something in Iraqi and she replies to me in ENGLISH!!! Yes it’s a personal choice, I agree. BUT, and there’s a big BUT. You don’t come here prancing with a nose so high up in the air and pretend to be better than your co-workers just because you have a piece of paper that makes you eligible for a blue passport! Naaaaa, doesn’t work that way.

That piece of paper doesn’t make you better than your Iraqi peers. Nor does it give you the right to treat them in a disrespectful manner, knowing well enough that you too were once an Iraqi citizen just SIX bloody months ago!!!! Infact it should make you humble. Humble and REAL. I personally think its pathetic, but again from what her coworkers told me about her, she was always pretentious. Always wanted to be someone else.


I was shocked and disappointed the other day and very ready to gag, after being forced to listen to her conversation with one of the Iraqi IT guys. She was almost spitting into the phone while talking despicably to the poor guy. I quote in a mimicy way :) “Cant you see I am an expat now, I don’t need a supervisor to approve this application. Cant you understand!” She went on and on, and her tone of voice became far too degrading towards him that I had to really stop myself from getting off of my chair and slapping her face a couple of times to wake her up from the delusional life she is living in. I just got up and went for a cig break instead. Id rather have my lungs poisoned than my ears!!!

At first I was very angry. Angry, and disgusted. But now, all I feel is pity. The whole saga has actually become an inside joke with my Iraqi coworkers who find her attitude towards them pathetic. I ask them what names they will acquire once they go to the States. A few suggestions were Harold for Haider, Alex for Ali, Orlando for Omar, Rick for Rami, etc…Sorry F, oooops I mean N??? I really hope that you will wake up from your Green Dream…The Hollow Green Dream…
posted by neurotic_wife at 6:41 PM

15 Comments:

You will be interested in this:

"...People with dissociative disorders chronically escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. These dissociative patterns usually develop as a reaction to trauma and function to keep difficult memories at bay..."CNN Medical

It is an interesting medical condition.

May 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM  

Life Cycles! Attrition, Contrition what was it? Disorder is a missing link in natures survival horror. Fear often justifies disordered response. People get lonely, want to cuddle, suckle a teat, do some smack, yada, yada, yada. EKG awareness in base Psychology markets Murmurs as symbolic temporal disassociation. As in, "What the fuck are we really dying from"? The Choice is Breath in Life's formulation. Depending on the climate and polluted atmosphere we find association.

Medical is a conditional State providing the loftiness resilient enough to handle the fear and demonization of our cuddle kins self inflicted debauchery. All hail Dr. Scientist.

May 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

NIW,

I was going to mention the dissociative disorder regarding F/N. Thanks Whitehawk. Yes, quite interesting. What's sad, is sometimes with these disorders, flashbacks can happen and even a psychotic break, like a nervous breakdown. Poor thing, obnoxious as she may be.

So I guess we'll do lunch in AD someday? :)

Always,
Melanie

May 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

This is extremely common American phenomenon. I don't know how much it happens elsewhere. People changing their name, adopting accents, clothing, and seasonal holidays that repudiate their origins & family heritage.

And it never fails to annoy their family and neighbors who are of their heritage, since it is obviously a kind of insult to them...or at least a walking, talking repudiation of their values since they have chosen to embrace their heritage.

But, alas, one of the cherished freedoms of America is the right to remake yourself from scratch, and I think everyone *ought* to have that right. Authenticity (if it is defined by "loyalty to the accident of your birth") is a terrible, uselss burden unless you are somehow "trading" on that authenticity as a politician or salesman.

So, I don't blame you for being offended, but...I think she has the right to be called by any name she wants and to talk English to people who are comfortable with that language.

May 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Cmart, Communication is getting increasingly complex. Don't be afraid to misinterpret a social scene. After all, complex communication increases intelligence and focus without pollution. If you want to kill Americans, do it with Action Figures or punch a menstruating wife, couldn't stay erect otherwise!

May 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM  

NEUROTICA LUV;IT SEEMS MISS MUCK-F-N; LACKS THE ABILITY OF FORGING FORTH IN THE GLOBE ON HER TOD ESTABLISHING HER NEW IDENTITY???!!INSTEAD SHE FALLS BACK ON HER OLD ASSOCIATES & EXPECTS PROVING HER NEW SELF AT THEIR EXPENSE;NIGGLY & ANNOYING TO ALL & SUNDRY AROUND THE PLACE??!!SHE MAY HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFRAME HERSELF AS SHE PLEASES BUT COULD HAVE THE DIGNITY & BE GRACIOUS ENOUGH SO AS TO INTERACT POLITELY & RESPECTFULLY TO HER OLD COLLEAGUES;ALTERNATIVELY SHE COULD HAVE GONE ON IN THE GLOBE & FORGED NEW ASSOCIATIONS & A PLACE TO SETTLE IN ;NAMELY IN AMERICA;???AFTER ALL ;HASN´T SHE THE PAPERS TO GO THERE NOW??? SO IF SHE IS SO KEEN AT HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH IRAQI OR ARABIC ;IT SEEMS LOGICAL TO GO & SETTLE IN SAY MICHIGAN??& CALL HERSELF ANY OLD DEPOLED NAME SHE LIKES ;BUT IT SEEMS SHE CAN´T MANAGE THAT MUCH OR TRUST HERSELF COMPETING IN THE WIDE OPEN GLOBE???TTCCHH TTCCHH :( OH WELL NEVER MIND IT TAKES ALL KINDS TO MAKE THE GLOBE ??EEAYH???ALL THE BEST OF GREETINGS LUV WWW.bfbs.com your OLAFF:)

May 21, 2008 at 3:42 AM  

Because Working Women are in love they play roles? Working Women Persecute themselves and each other? Performances detail the recognition of forgotten tracts for purpose of some sort of cognitive, "ice cream belly with fuzzy stuff that tastes salty" ambiance?

"They don't need a Doctor they need a Sacrifice". - Murder City Devils

May 21, 2008 at 5:53 AM  

Just for interest, a good friend of mine from Iran, whose name is Ali, adopted the name "Alex."
Always enjoy reading your comments. Makes more sense than the media.
Joe

May 21, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

Oh wow WH, didnt something like that existed!!!But I doubt that describes F or N or whatever her name is...

Hey Melanie, Youre on!!!We can smoke away our lungs together :)

cmar, no, I dont agree with you at all. As I mentioned in my post, she can be whatever she wants to but never ever presume she is BETTER than anyone else. I can care less if her name is iguana, thats not the point. Point is, you went away just a few months ago, and here you are back again, with the same people who you used to hang around with, refusing to give them respect because YOU FEEL you are now Semi US citizen, hence all the Iraqis are lower than you...Thats just despicable. And again, I dont care abt her talking English to me, but to HER Iraqi colleagues? Cmon, please, give me a break!!!

Olaff, I doubt NATO will ever take the step. Iran, in my own opinion, is far too powerful...

Joe, I know many who use different names, but she was anal about it. The poor IT guy came to me and complained about her attitude problem, and asked me, do all people who go to the States adopt this rude obnoxious persona? I just said no, she is just an anamoly...

May 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

NIW,

I agree that acting like you're better than your peers is obnoxious. And as an American, I don't like "American" being linked to obnoxious behavior. But from what you say, her pretentiousness is the way she has been all her life. This is just a new spin to it. I'm not defending her *attitude* (since she might well be an unbearable person). As you just pointed out, the problem is not so much changing her name or choosing to speak only in English in front of people who understand English-- the problem is the way she treats people which I doubt would be different in Arabic.

Think of it as a blessing she offers to non-English speakers.

May 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

NEUROTICA LUV;YOÚ´RE RIGHT IN DOUBTING ;NATO TAKING THE STEP TO HIT IRAN ?BUT DO NOT DOUBT THAT ANY NATO MEMBER ALONE & BYTHEMSELVES ;AMERICA ON ITS OWN COULD RUB & WIPE IRAN OFF THE MAP IF IT WANTED TO;OR EVEN GREECE ;TURKEY ;FRANCE ;OR US GREAT BRITAIN; ALL OF US COULD BEAT IRAN HANDS DOWN & THAT MEANS US NATO THE ALLIED FORCES ;BUT IF IT IS WORTH IT POLITICALLY IS A DIFFERENT MATTER & THAT IS; WHERE YOU MAY WELL DOUBT ;HOWEVER THERE IS A BORDER LINE THAT AMERICA & ALLIES HAVE MARKED IN THE SAND SO TO SPEAK??& SO WE SHALL FIND OUT THE GAME PLAYED UP TO THAT BORDER LINE??ALL THE VERY BEST OF GREETINGS & KINDEST OF REGARDS WWW.bfbs.com CHEERS OLAFF

May 22, 2008 at 4:09 AM  

Maybe she's stuck in a teenage mentality? I reinvented myself every six months for a good 5 years between 13-18. And I was *ehem* less than humble to the people who couldn't keep up.

May 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Even if they persecute one another, the detention combined with surreal dictatorship awkwardly joins strangers in coupled space monotony. How does an entire group of women failthfully watching each others skin spread sound to you? All truth traceable Artificially Intelligent space demons. DEuh.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM  

I read your posts from time to time. I have to admit that I admire your point of views. Especially the ones focusing on social phenomenas in our beloved, ravaged society. A society that dosn't know where to go anymore. I think it is in the state of a child who just lost its parents. No controlling power telling him what to do, no God that brings an immediate change to a deteriorating situation. It is now trying to find a new one. I believe it is not mature enough to handle the situation alone yet. One time the new parent is USA and all what it stands for(Like your colleague F***), other time it is a religious leader etc.. Yet, some members in the society are mature enough to find there own way, which brings hope to our daily struggle.
Lets wait and see what the future holds, and like a wise man said once: "may the force be with us" ;) ..

May 24, 2008 at 2:28 PM  

George Lucas died with Gene Roddenberry. Struggle makes re-alignment. A parents Vision is now a selectable sequence in a Menu Based focusing rhythm that includes counter intelligence and Harry Potter based Lightning Strikes. Drugs and Alcohol are Lost Pets and Pills are Fast Food. If they want to discover Evil they have to leave the Starting Line without tears. This is the future America embraces.

May 24, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home