Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: Everyday is a Ground Hog day...

neurotic Iraqi wife

July 24, 2007

Everyday is a Ground Hog day...

Coming back is always a challenge. It becomes harder and harder with each R&R. After sleeping for only three hours, I had to wake up to the constant ringing of my mobile phone alarm clock. Yup, I dont own a clock, I rely on my mobile. Ofcourse hitting the snooze button doesnt really help. Instead of waking up at 430 I found myself waking up at 530. I had to rush because my ride to the airport was at 6. HUBBY woke up and with his sleepy voice said "I dont think I will be coming with you". I didnt say much, infact I felt guilty that he had to wake up that early, so I just said, thats ok sweetie, I can go alone, its no problem. Ten minutes later he was already putting his clothes on. I just smiled to myself and said to him, please, you really dont have to come, I mean it. He wouldnt hear it and off we went to the airport.

Because Iraqi Airways dont fly to Baghdad from Dubai on Mondays, I took another airline, Jupiter Airlines. Thanks to my brother, he spoke to the manager and I was able to get on it. The flight was full. I mean totally full. We arrived at the airport and it took quite awhile for me to get my boarding pass. I hugged HUBBY goodbye and went inside to the waiting area. As the guy opened the door to the gate, OMG, you can say the exodus started. I dont think standing in a line means anything to any Iraqi. I mean holy cow, everyone just stood up and started pushing and shoving. I wanted to tell them "hey chill out, the plane wont leave without you". Even funnier was an elderly man wearing the traditional dishdash, approached the man infront of me, and asked whether this was the flight to Baghdad. The guy nodded yes, the elderly man didnt bother to go to the back and wait for his turn, instead he pretended he knew the man and stood right next to him. If he wasnt an Iraqi I would have given him a piece of my mind, but I felt bad, so I kept my mouth shut.

As we were hurled inside the bus, I seriously felt like one of those sheep that get hoarded by their shepherds. I mean the pushing and shoving became worse. Besides, why is everyone so keen to go back??? I thought people were leaving Iraq???? As I sat in my seat, one of the exit doors opened and 2 ladies dressed in black on wheelchairs where hurled in. Another lady on crotches holding a picture of a young man, with a black ribbon on the side (indicating he was martyred) followed them. It was then that it hit me, they most probably lost this young man in an explosion, or a militia kidnapping. Sadness overshadowed my thoughts. The flight took 2 hours and 15 minutes. As the Captain announced the descent to Baghdad INternational Airport, the plane kept going round and round for about 30 minutes above the airport. I swear I felt sick to my stomach, and my bladder decided to say hello to me.

I get inside the airport and stand in the line that says "Iraqis". Incidently the man who was looking at my passport was the same one that stamped it when I left three weeks back. I laughed and said its you, he smiled back. I remembered him clearly cuz when I left last time he asked whether I hold another passport, and I said yes, asked him why he asked that question, he didnt answer. This time he said, is the Dubai exit stamp on your British passport? OMG, I just stood there not knowing what to say. I nodded with my eyes pleading him not to give me a hard time, I really really needed to pee...Then he looked at my passport pic and said, what happened to you, you have lost so much weight. I couldnt believe that I was actually having a conversation with this guy. I needed to peeeeeeeeee. Again I nodded and said, yes this picture was taken 8 yrs ago, I lost 10 Kilos during that time. Why he asked. Damn it IM thinking, if he doesnt stop talking soon, Im gonna have to pee in my pants. I forced a smile and said, what else, misery of life..He smiled at me and as he was giving me back my passport, I took it sooooooooo fast and scrammed to the bathroom. That was a close call. He probably thought I was some kinda lunatic, cuz while he was asking me all these questions, I kept tapping my shoes on the floor, as if that will stop my pee urge, but I had to keep moving...

Ofcourse peeing in Baghdad International Airport aint fun at all. First off, the toilets are disgustingly dirty. Oh and if you ever come to BIAP, make sure you have some tissues handy with you, cuz you will never ever find toilet paper. You just have to take a long breath and hold it in so you wont smell the horrible stench. I mean for God's sake, theyre paying millions for O&M, atleast keep the darn toilets clean!!! By the time I was done, I asked one of the trolley guys to help me with my suitcase when it comes in. I would have dragged it myself but because they search everything before you depart the airport, there was no way in hell I was gonna lift a 32 kg bag up. Maybe in my younger days I woulda risked it, but I knew I would make a fool of myself, thats why I asked for help.

I had a PSD team come and pick me up. Although many people even with PSD's fear the airport road, I myself Love it. Its the only opportunity I get to see 5 minutes of the red zone. The houses, the beautiful Iraqi houses. By the time I reached my compound, and as I was walking towards my room, BOOOOOOOOM, a suicide car shook the area. It was somewhere in Karrada. The Big Voice announced a lock down, and I just continued my walk in the middle of the compound. A security guard motioned with his hand for me to run to a bunker, I looked at him with a "are you kidding me??? I aint running with THIS suitcase" I guess he saw the expression on my face, ran towards me, grabbed my bag, and took me to the bunker. I laughed, and told him, this was my wlecome back.

I unpacked my bag, and after a few hours I get a phonecall from my coworker M asking me whether Im interested in having dinner and listen to the latest office news. After dinner I went back to my room and attempted to take a shower. My water was brown, literally brown. I laughed to myself, for it was only the other day I was in this hotel in Dubai taking a shower in a beautiful marble bathroom...Yup, but I guess you gotta make sacrifices, you want something, you gotta leave something else. By the time I got out of the shower I was knackered. I tried to sleep but my eyes kept defying my urge. I think I finally managed to nod off at 2 in the morning, and I couldnt believe it when my mobile alarm rang at 630 (its liek deja vu). I started itching my arms and chest profusely. Then it daunted me, THE DARN ANTS BIT ME!!! I probably had them crawling on me...eeewwww. I immediately placed an order to spray insecticide in my room. I also saw a small baby lizard last night having a party with my tennis shoes. Yuck!!!

Oh well, in another four months and a half, I will be able to enjoy the civilized world again, or maybe even sooner if HUBBY is serious in leaving this place. You never know. As for now, its back to work and back to the Everyday is a Ground Hog Day...
posted by neurotic_wife at 5:05 PM

12 Comments:

Funny stories. Hopefully you'll be out of there soon.

July 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM  

I find dark humor in your trip home. An explosion here, a brown shower there, oh and throw in a wonderful plane boarding experience and filthy bathroom, and don't forget about the ants.

I have to laugh Neurotica, but in a dark, twisted way.

Melanie

July 25, 2007 at 2:56 AM  

I believe al-Sadr had a group
that was supposed to take responsability for the cleaning
of the Baghdad airport ...

If these people are not doing their job they have to be fired ...
If they are doing a decent job ... but are overworked then more people need to be hired ...

Iraq has to get on the ball already ... the airport has been rebuilt ... its fairly secure ...
Now Iraqi have to keep it spotless.

When will The new American embassy
be opened ??? and will you be working there ... What Iraqi
offices will take the place of the American offices in Saddams palace??

lets hope the situation in Iraq improves over the next 4 months ...
in anycase you accomplished a lot
more then you think ... you and "Hubby" are established with
a whole new network of professional
contacts ... and as difficult
as these times are for you ...
you must realize there are
millions of old people whose lives
are truly over ... major medical problems ... bedridden ... cancer
etc ... who would trade places with you immediately !!!
One day you will realize ...
that being youthful is everything ... because you can still dream and look ahead.

July 25, 2007 at 7:23 AM  

Hello Neurotica It is marvelous to read you`ve made it through the obsticle course from Dubai to Baghdad including the que jumping of the elderly bloke in Dubai & the prolonged discussion of the geyser greeting you back to stamp your papers upon it being imperitiveley urgent to nip for a weeewee still though nice to be back in one`s own digs at flatlets estate The G.Z. & have abit eve. nosh & achat before nipping for a kip as knackered as one may have been .Loads of the Best of British darling love to read you replies. www.bfbs .com walter@swedenmail.com yours Lars

July 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM  

Hello Neurotica, For all you musical requests every weekday simply send your desirable message s fav.songs titles to CHARLENE"George Walters" drive@bfbs.com Yours as always Olaff- Lars-00-49 151-1898-80-80

July 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM  

Good to hear you are back safe and sound.

Let us know if you notice any difference in Iraq. Hopefully the football team will win- there are positive stories in Anbar, Diyala, Mosul, Adhamiyah, Kadimiyah, Mukdidiyah. The tide is turning, and just imagine how in 20 years your hubby will be one of the revered heroes of Iraq if we win this thing. That should be some consolation.

July 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM  

Welcome Home!

:)

July 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM  

Welcome back, 7amdillah 3la salamtich.
I wish I was in ur shoes, I wish I was in Iraq. U prolly think thats retarded...but thats ok, cuz i dont.
:)

July 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

Hi Jason, I dunno lets hope so too. Maybe it is time.

Lol Melanie, I will post more abt my ant story later on. You should have seen what they actually put in my room to so call catch the ants....Will write abt it and take pics...

Thanx anon. Yes the airport is managed by Al Sadr. The rest of the place is ok I guess, but the bathrooms are shameful. Alot of money was spent on it, atleast they should maintain it. Im not sure about the new American Embassy, im definitely not gonna work there. But I tell you, that place is huge, i mean humangous, and in my opinion pointless to have spent so much money on it.

Thanx Olaff for your encouraging words. How can I listen to my music requests on the net???

I dunno LF. I dunno if this thing will ever be won. Im sure you know my views already. It will take a whole new secular govt to bring Iraq back. And I dont see this happening in the near future.

Zappppppppppppy, ishonek???

Alacoacoa, I definitely dont think its retarded, bil 3akis, its only natural to wanna be here. I know exactly what u mean. Thats how I felt before I came here. Yella cmon over...

July 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM  

Hello Neurotica, The best method to request & listen out for your song or message is to go to our web page www.bfbs.com menue listen on line click & listen live to our various radio broadcast globally to our Lads & lassies simply send your request to drive@bfbs.com ,or send me a short message walter@swedenmail.com tel. no. 00-49-151-1898-80-80 yours as always the Best of British darling Lars

July 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM  

Hello Neurotica, The best method to request & listen out for your song or message is to go to our web page www.bfbs.com menue listen on line click & listen live to our various radio broadcast globally to our Lads & lassies simply send your request to drive@bfbs.com ,or send me a short message walter@swedenmail.com tel. no. 00-49-151-1898-80-80 yours as always the Best of British darling Lars

July 27, 2007 at 8:43 PM  

Hehe, mama would never let me.
One day, itha Allah raad.
Inshallah

July 27, 2007 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home