Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: The Iraqi Smile...

neurotic Iraqi wife

May 23, 2006

The Iraqi Smile...

I always liked my name...Its different and not very common...I was told it was my aunt's choice...Thanx Aunti L...Although I have to admit that last week, I did hate my name..infact loathed it...My Boss R, kept calling it like literally 10 times in 3 minutes, until I exploded in his face (poor guy, he has taken so much sh.. from me lately) I said you know R, I always loved my name but today, you made me swear at my aunt for choosing it for me...UGHHHHH)Almost all Arabic names have meanings (I googled the site so please dont give me BS cuz its a shia site) unlike the west...Or are after certain historical people...So whats in a name???...

You know you are in Iraq when ...
your name is the sole reason behind your death...

Yup thats the truth...If your name is Ali, Omar, Hussein, Othman say goodbye to your life....Isnt that just amazing??? Look at the (takhaluf) backwardness these criminals live in...

HUBBY told me a story about an aquaintance who often goes and visits the Ministry of Health. This ministry is a Sadr supporter...But Omar being the smart guy he is, always told them that his name was Ali, or Abu shihab....A few days ago as he was going in, an old neighbour of his saw him and being Iraqis we always tend to greet each other in a way that makes the whole street hear it...The man runs along...hugs Omar, ooops I mean Ali and shouts to him "Hey Omar, where have you been, havent seen you in a long long time" Omar just stopped in his tracks (uhoh he thought to himself) as he realised the guards at the door started staring at him, staring at him with murder in their eyes.....He didnt know what to say...or do...Shall he tell his neighbour that he's mistaken and that he aint Omar???(the neighbour would probably make a scene and insist that he aint blind)Or just give up and forget about ever entering the ministry...One of the guards, asked him with venom in his voice "I thought you told us your name is Ali???" Omar began to stutter..."Umm, yeah bu..." the guard then shouted "Get out of here and if I ever see you around I will literally cut your legs off" Omar just scrammed outta there waving goodbye forever to visiting the ministry....Story is kinda funny but in reality Iraqi people's fates are really dependent on what their name is....Sad but true...

You know you are in Iraq when...
You cant wear a cross in public...

I found out yesterday that one of the maintenance guys working here got murdered while driving back home in his car...He was a christian...It is believed that he got killed because of his faith...The mass media tends to concentrate on just the two sects (Sunni's, Shia's) forgetting that Iraq is also made up from Christians, Yazeedi's, Turkmen, and ofcourse Kurds.... But it is also the Christians that are targets, targets of death....

You know what..Im just gonna go into my unphased mood again because the stories Im hearing here everyday drains you out...it literally does...You hear them, you wanna do something to make things better but you know that no matter what you do or say the situation will not change...So I always, always end my conversation with "Allah Kareem" (God is generous or hopefully things will get better)...Again the feeling of being lame overcomes me....

I have been thinking quite alot about trying to help the colleagues here...If you have any suggestions please do tell me or email me, cuz Im running out of ideas...The question of Visas, does anyone know of any country that gives visas to Iraqis easily??? Dubai used to be at ease with Iraqis but now after the kidnapping of their guy here, dont think that will be the case...There are people here who havent sat in a plane...Who get mesmerised just by looking at photos on the net and ask me "does this place really exist?"...."Is it true that there is a hotel made from ice???"..."Is it true that you can find jacuzzi's in hotel rooms"...I listen to them with my heart breaking...Literally breaking...They have this hunger...this hunger to see the world...to experience life...To live...So Im gonna make it a priority to find out how I can help in any way...Please anyone out there reading, do pitch in with ideas...

A colleague of mine, in her late thirties, early forties has been living for the past 18 years with her disabled sister....Both her parents have died long time ago...each of her siblings got married and left after the first Gulf war, leaving her alone taking care of her sister A....She said she tried everything she can, taking her sister's medical papers to consulates/embassies but to no avail...No one is willing to help...Although she is one of the strongest women I have met, when it comes to the topic regarding her sister you can see the hurt, the pain in her eyes...I would have never guessed the circumstances she is living in...Never...When I suggest putting her sister in some kind of clinic, she laughs sarcastically and tells me "Where???here???you are not serious, are you???" Again horrible Miss Lame knocks my door...

I have taken part in the reconstruction efforts, thinking at first what a historical moment Im living in...but in reality there is no history with all the mayhem taking place outside my so called GZ prison... I was a witness to some failed projects, and millions of dollars lost....I was also a witness to seeing smiles on children's faces when their schools got renovated (pictures only mind you)...You ask anyone who works here..anyone who has come here to really help out...ask them whats the most rewarding thing...they will answer the smile, the smile of the Iraqis...Although I havent stepped out of those horrible T walls, I did experience the smile factor a few times...

We are into single digits now...in a few more days we will be outta here...It hit me last night when I finally started packing...It also hit me today when I gave a few things away...I got hugs and thank you's and please dont forget us...Think of us for we will really miss you...Yes I will too, I will miss the Smile...The Iraqi Smile...
posted by neurotic_wife at 7:55 PM

9 Comments:

whachu mean "bs because it's a shia site" ?! Goldammit, I'm Shia! Anyone here have a problem with it? I'm happy to throw my shoe.... hmmf!

May 24, 2006 at 12:08 AM  

What is happening in Iraq is so horrible. I do not believe that Iraqis have reaches to such a low level.

The government must make each group feel and secure or else a pandora box of feeling insecure will take the many lives of our fellow iraqis.

My mom's friends's brother died, cz his name is Omar!

what the hell.

I do not check the news, but did they give il amin lil musta8ileen lo ba3ad?

May 24, 2006 at 12:46 AM  

NIW,
The stories you tell seem so terrible--having to hide one's name, or being killed just because of being Christian.
It is so sad to hear people feeling stuck and hopeless. I read one news account that a million Iraqis may be living in Jordan now.
Please write to us even after you move. I would like to hear your reflections on your time in Iraq after you are "out of it" for a while.

May 24, 2006 at 5:14 AM  

Hi,

First, let me say that your ability to translate your thoughts into powerful and moving words have really touched me, a young American woman, so deeply. So much we share in common, so much I can relate to you, yet so ignorant I am to your understanding of what it means to be an Iraqi in these times... Thank you for your courage(?) to share with the anonymous world your paradigm. Thank you, truly.

Secondly, a question for you. It seems our leaders really have no idea how to create something positive out of this disaster. I could go back and point out all the lies, but those things are secondary to what needs to be done now to stop the violence and get Iraq on a path to peace. My question to you is, what do you think needs to happen? That's a broad question, I know. But, if you had the chance to decide a way "out" of this mess, what would you do? What would you like your leaders to do? How can Iraq end the violence?

A second question, if you don't mind: Many Americans believe the American troops should be pulled out right away. Others believe that would be a mistake. Do you think the American forces should stay in Iraq or leave now?

PS: I don't want to put any pressure on you, if you don't feel comfortable answering these questions, I totally understand.

Thank you for letting me share this.

May 24, 2006 at 7:49 AM  

Well , try looking at the bright sight you can always have two names, think of it whenever you Enjoy yourself looking in the Sun and Having a Smoke ;)

May 24, 2006 at 3:01 PM  

Hey Neurotica,

Your world famous, just try and remember us little people when your flying through the stars.

May 24, 2006 at 6:55 PM  

Leila, well you know how things are, they immdediately tarnish you and call you biased..lol throwing shoes are u now, huh,lol...

Gilgamish, yes situation is bad, beyond bad...I mean can you imagine the level we have reached now???People get killed or threatened because of their name??? I dont know how the current gov will be able to solve these issues...

CMM my friend, its been a long long time since I heard from you...I visited your site a few months ago and you had stopped writing...you still writing poems???Anything new???

Jeff, I cant wait to tell all when Im outta here, dunno if I still will be bound by the confidentiality paper I had to sign when assigned here, but I really am planning to write about everything I know about this reconstruction effort, wont leave a thing out....

Anon, give me sometime and I definitely will answer your questions in a post..And I thank you for kind words...Im just an ordinary woman living in such extraordinary surroundings...

Zappy, you made me smile thinking maybe you know me personally, since I do sit in the blazing sun and smoke...

madtom, fame, what is fame when you cant do much for your own people..besides its a good article written exquisitely by a very good journalist...thats all...

Last but not least, I have asked for suggestions about how to be able to help the Iraqis here, and no one, not one single person came up with anything...I just need to find out if visas are given to Iraqis easily, anywhere, and if there are ways we can help them to survive these difficult times...Please whoever is reading, just give a few minutes of thought to this...Thanx

May 25, 2006 at 5:10 AM  

"Please whoever is reading, just give a few minutes of thought to this..."

I am sorry if this is a stupid or impractical idea, Iraqi Wife, but what about going up to the Kurdistan region? I have read bloggers that say Sulamaniyah and Erbil are peaceful cities. There are some Kurdish bloggers on the web that may be able to provide information and/or contacts.

May 25, 2006 at 5:47 AM  

Keep up the Good Work, and Have a Great Day !!

May 25, 2006 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home