Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape neurotic Iraqi wife: A True Iraqi...

neurotic Iraqi wife

January 31, 2008

A True Iraqi...

Wow, what a day. There was a 10 minute hail storm at lunchtime. I ran to the glass door and looked outside, it was amazing! Iraqi guys started saying with excitement in their voices, Haloob… haloob, which basically means Hail. Then the sun shined and I was trying to look for the Rainbow, unfortunately I didn’t see one ;-(

I’m not usually a fan of Thursdays (except maybe it marks the end of the workweek, Yaaaaaaay) cuz its always filled with meetings. Some can drag on forever with people repeating themselves over and over and over and over and over (You get the point). I wish theyd talk about substantial issues, rather than email protocols which they have mentioned a million times. And I also wish that they themselves practice what they preach.

Today though, was abit different. To mark the 30 Jan 2005 elections, someone came up with the idea of celebrating it each year and together with the elections, which I personally am not proud of even though I was one of the many people that got excited to finally have a say in my country (little did we know then) a woman decided to “celebrate” the unity of the mixed nationalities that work here from the Iraqis, to the Brits, to the Aussies, to the Americans, South Africans, Indians etc. The celebration also coincides with our month of Muharram which marks the martyrdom of Imam Hussein and the beginning of the horrific sectarian war.

Usually in Muharram, people cook large amounts of food (Qeema and/or Hareesa (Barley mixed with either chicken or lamb)), in really big pots and distribute it among the people as an act of solidarity and sharing. Im not really a fan of hareesa, and Im definitely not a fan of hareesa mixed with dust, and muddy rain!!! But what I really find amusing about this whole thing is the actual act of stirring the pot. Myth has it, if you stir the pot and make a wish (a murad or nithir), it will definitely be granted! People started stirring the Hareesa pot since yesterday night. I instead waited till this morning and went out in the rain just to stir the pot and make the same wish yet AGAIN. I think its been in line for the past three years now, waiting very patiently for its turn.

The meeting that I was dreading had a different flavour this time. Yes they did talk about the usual boring stuff of emails, expenses, travel etc but today they recognized someone very special. M, used to sit next to me. He is originally from Mosul, but lives in Baghdad, infact he lives on the exact same street we used to live in. Not only that, but it was only 2 weeks ago that he told me, his parents apparently knew my uncle and my grandfather really well. They (his parents) even stayed at my grandfather’s house back in the 60’s! What a small world huh! So M to me is a very special young man.

Before I go on vacation, I asked him to fill for me while Im away. Not only his English is immaculate but his attention to detail is just astounding. And I thought I was fussy!!! But I found someone even fussier. At first he wasn’t too enthusiastic thinking that no one can do what I do, lol. And no one can be “in your face” the way I am when I need some information cuz M is an extremely shy person. But wwwwwwoooooow, the work and the professionalism he exhibited while I was away blew everyone’s mind. So today, management decided to recognize his great efforts. It also acts as an encouragement to all the other Iraqis we work with. The look on M’s face when his name was called out was just priceless!

M has also applied for the Special US Immigrant Visa. He is now waiting for an interview date to be set. Unlike many, he is not that enthusiastic about it at all. Yes he wants to leave Iraq so badly but no, he doesn’t wanna leave his parents behind. So he is kinda hesitant about the whole situation. But learning from Dr A’s experience and the other Iraqis who left without a specific plan in hand, M has been adamant in finding a job way before he even sets foot in the US. I and others are lobbying for him big time, although I know he doesn’t need it because his intelligence is very apparent. He will be a great asset to whoever takes him. His thirst for knowledge and attention to detail, is very rare to find, especially in the circumstances that he lives in. But M is a fighter, a survivor, and most importantly an Iraqi. A true Iraqi…

Footnote:I beat HUBBY's ass at backgammon lastnight, Yaaaaaaaaay...Revenge is definitely sweet ;-) Im hoping there will be an encore tonight, hehe.
posted by neurotic_wife at 4:26 PM

7 Comments:

Hello Neurotica.

I am happy you are back!! :-) I was reading your blog...have never commented before though.

Welcome back,
Stazianah

January 31, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

NIW,

What ever happended to Dr A? How is he?

Always,
Melanie

January 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

Hi NIW,
Reading through your blogs before and after the R&R, one can only realize the difference. It's huge! you're definitely still in the "grace" post-holiday mood and I can get used to that! Although I miss some of your political inputs on some of the issues on Iraqi scene like the recent central bank "accidental" fire but high spritd are always welcomed.
All in all, nice to see you back on the radar. Take care,

Usama-Vancouver

January 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

hello again neurotica looooooooool luv,great READING COSECUTIVE BLOGS FROM YOU IN FREQUENT SHORT PERIOD OF TIME LOVELY LUV-:)JUST TO MENTION YES THE CLUB IN ABU-DHABI IS "THE BRITISH-ENGLISH-OFFICER´S CLUB" FROM THE 60s & ALL THE PEOPLE HAVE MOVED ON SINCE THEN ;AS YOU SAY YOU´D ALSO BEEN MEMBERS AGES AGO THE CLUB´S WEB PAGE IS :-)"WWW.theclub.ae" A VERY NICE CHAP IS THE MANAGER NOWADAYS:) YOU MUST BE GOOD AT BACKGAMMON?:)SO WHAT ABOUT THE DELICIOUS BIT OF NOSH & PUDDINGS???HAVE HAD A DELIVERY OF SHAKAR-LAMA-:)& WHAT ABOUT DATE PUDDIND "H7ALAWAT TAMMUR" BTH WHAT´S TOP QUALITY DATES???NOT ZAAHDII ??!SURELY:) HAD A LITTLE TASTE OF THE HARREEESA!!? DO YOU LIKE" MAN-ALSIMMA" A CHEWY GUMMY SWEET OR" LUQ3UM" A JELLY- LIKE TURKISH- DELIGHT " & OR "THE GREEK-HAALVA" SESAME-SEED SWEET??!!!MY FRIEND SAYS?OH BY THE WAY SAEED ASKARI SAID JUST LIKE IN THE DAYS OF THE LATE SHEIK ZAAYYIDD & ONE OF HIS THEN CONFIDE´NTS ;OR A FRIEND THE LATE MR. ZAYYAAD ASKARI;JUST AS IT USED TO BE IN THOSE DAYS! THE CLUB OFFERS AN ATMOSPHERE UNRIVALED IN ABU-DHABI?! IS IT THE CASE NUEROTICA LUV?ALL THE VERY BEST DARLING (DO TEL IF YOU TASTED A BIT OF HARREEEESA?)"WWW.bfbs.com" KINDEST OF REGARDS CHEERS OLAFF

February 1, 2008 at 3:54 AM  

MY FRIEND SAYS HE REMEMBERS SUB ZERO TEMPS.BACK A LONG TIME AGO IN CENTURIES GONE BY:-) PLUS HAAALOOOOB HAIL & A FREEZ EARLY MORNINGS THROUGH THE NIGHT???!!:)IS IT STILL COLD LUV OR HAS IT MODERATED ??

February 1, 2008 at 4:01 AM  

SORRY FORGOT MENTIONING IT USED TO BE IN BACHDAD THAT HE EXPERIENCED THESE COLD TEMPS.plusH7AAAALOOOOB HAIL NOT ABU-DHABI??!!

February 1, 2008 at 4:04 AM  

Hi Neurotica. Welcome back. Good to here from you.

Btw: Recently another "Jason" has come upon the scene. He has attacked you and others. I'm not him. Just wanted to let you know that.:)

February 1, 2008 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home